Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eznot

Spotted Raphael Catfish

eznot
15 years ago

I purchased a 55 gallon Freshwater tank, water living friends and all. There is a Spotted Raphael Catfish that came with the tank five years + ago. Also 0ne Clown Loach came with the tank. The two of them shared a very small castle until I noticed that the castle was getting tooo small for the 2 of them to share. I had also purchased a couple more Clown Loaches as I was told at the time that Clown Loaches are groupies.

I have only seen the Catfish a couple of times in the 5+ years but the Clown Loaches have gotten so big (I know I have to move them to my 155 gallon) that I have put a couple of ceramic logs in there in hopes that all 4 Clown Loaches and my Catfish will make room for each other in the larger castle that they all seem to want to live in.

The last few days, my catfish has been out in the open. I see him/her all the time now. I am assuming that the Clown Loaches have chased him/her out so I put in another smaller castle in hopes that he/she will find it and make it his/her new home. But so far he/she is trying to hide in the plants instead.

Since I have never seen my beauty before this, should I be worried that he/she has come to the end of it's life span as I have no idea of how old he/she was when I got him/her? Or is it just that the Clown Loaches have chased him/her out? Or is it that he/she just doesn't want to be in there any more?

I have always done a W/C (water change) with a gravel vac once a week and thought I was a really good water living friends keeper until I purchased an Ancient Mariner machine (which is fantatic) and I have never seen so much gunk come from that tank. So could it be that now the tank has been and continues to be very clean that he/she is out more?

He/She is at least 4" long and very fat, LoL!

Is there anything to worry about?

Comments (4)