Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollyhockdoll

why do my fish go from dark to light?

hollyhockdoll
13 years ago

Hi everyone; I usually lurk in the pond forum, but my aquarium fish are acting strange, so I hope someone can shed some light on the subject (no pun intended, read on. . .)

I have a 10 gallon that I keep 3 long fin black skirt tetras in. A month or so ago, the light went bad, and it was just a few days ago that I put a new one on. So my fish were constantly in the dark for about a month. Instead of getting another incandescent light, I decided to try fluorescent, with a plant/aquarium bulb. Now when I turn the light on in the morning, the fish are a beautiful dark silver color and their fins are black; but within a half hour, they are a very pale light gray color with black just at the very tips of the fins. Whey look washed out. It's not the color of the light, or they would look pale as soon as I turn it on - it takes a good 30-45 minutes for them to "pale out". Also, instead of swimming around like they used to, they just hover on one side of the tank bumping the glass like they're confused. I know that neither of these behaviors happened with the other light. They were always the proper color and swam around like happy fish. Are they freaked out after being in the dark for a month? Could the bulb be too bright (I doubt that)?

Has someone seen this before? What do I do about it?

Thanks,

Jill

Comment (1)

Sponsored