Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

Well, here it is (pic)

macky77
15 years ago

Our daughter's 6-gallon Christmas present and my first attempt at an aquarium.

{{gwi:379528}}

Bought the plants in Regina on Saturday and they survived the long trip home. Put it together Sunday. Gawd, it takes a long time to wash gravel! There's a layer of Flourite, then some black "riverbottom" gravel (looks almost like sand), then a slightly more colourful gravel on top. I need to get a little more for the back. The aquarium shop guy said I could put the driftwood in right away or boil it to get the tannins out, but he didn't say how long. I boiled it for 15 minutes, then AFTER I put it in the tank, read I should have boiled it for more like 5 hours. Crap. The water is a little murky. Should I leave the charcoal filter in to get the tannins out or take it out because there are live plants (but no fish) in there right now? I didn't come home with fertilizer because the guy said I didn't need it since I bought Flourite for a first layer (too expensive for me to use it alone). Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten some. Plant choice was few and far between. These didn't look in the best shape imo, but there was nothing else available - we went to every shop in the city. Of course, after we bought these, we stopped at Petland because I was still looking for rocks and of course they had just gotten a shipment of plants the day before and they all looked spectacular. I couldn't have afforded them there anyway, though, because they were about $12 apiece and I paid $20 for these 6 bunches at Petsmart.

Anyway, there ya go. Thanks for your advice in my other thread and all the others I read before, too. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when we add the fish in December.

Comments (6)

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

It looks great. Pity you boiled the driftwood, but there should be some tannin remaining. Tannin is good. It softens the water and if you are going with the Rasbora, they want/need soft, slightly acidic water.

You don't need to waste a new charcoal filter just cycling. Do leave the bio-wheel in though, to get loaded.

Flourite is not a substitute for fertilizer and as long as there are no fish in the water, if you have any, just give the plants a diluted dose of any good garden variety, such as Miracle Grow. Once the tank is well established with fish, their waste should be enough to keep the plants happy.

But keep a close eye out for snails. If you bought plants completely free of them or their eggs, good for you, but don't hold your breath on it.

• paparoseman
    15 years ago

Given the small volume of water you will know shortly if the wood has any more tannins in it. The water will take on a brownish/orangey tint in a day or two. Tannins are not harmful or dangerous but can make it hard to see the fish in their natural colors.

Just do small water changes to keep the water looking clear, it could be weeks before the tannins stop bleeding out as much. The aquarium looks good BTW

• macky77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I thought that guy was smoking something; should have gone with my gut. Since we're not going to the city anytime soon, I went through my garden fertilizers. Most of the aquatic fertilizers I found online had low N and P values and high K values (amongst other trace minerals, etc.). The closest I had in my stash was actually a dehydrated seaweed powder that I had been trying as a foliar spray for seedlings last year. I diluted a tiny pinch and put it in the tank. I guess we'll see what happens!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    15 years ago

I just wanted to comment that I think your planted tank is really lovely. You did an exceptionally nice job laying it out. I remember my first fish tank (at age 10) and spending time just sitting quietly and watching the fish and plants - and sometimes imagining myself to be inside the tank swimming along with them, LOL.
    Your daughter is a lucky little girl. :0)

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

be very very careful about what type of fish you get at the fish store- Some like Oscars, grows to 18 inches, pacus-grows over 4 feet! and Amazon redtail catfish are all terrible choices that can grow HUGE! and need HUGE! tanks, Red tail catfishes grow even bigger then pacus, as big as large dogs and need 1000+ gallons to do well. Iridescent sharks are even worse then red tails, they grow to 52 inches, like a strict nothing in it but the fish setup, in a massive lake sized tank and if that wasn't bad enough they like to school.

For your setup I'd stick to 1 lone male Betta, or some dwarf frogs, or some glass shrimp or a school of 6 white clouds. You want to stock lightly. Live plants was a good idea, as long as they get proper lighting

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

Another thing you can use to feed the plants as well as juice up the cycling process is a few drops of clear ammonia.

The old timers added manure tea and/or urine to a tank they wanted to get going. That was back before even air pumps and the old siphon filters let alone powered ones, when a truly balanced (fish/plants/natural light) aquarium was the only means available to maintain FW fish, but they managed, so apparently knew exactly what they were about.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations