Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david713

i need help spawning bettas

david713
17 years ago

well i have had 3 male bettas for more than a month and i got 2 females one is a regular petstore female which is brownish and the other white with red now i have a 10 gallon tank with plenty of plants 2 live ones little cave rock a castle air pump a filter a heater a light and a lid now what do i do ?

Comments (7)

• david713
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh and if anything my email is d-man713@hotmail.com

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Getting Bettas to breed is usually fairly easy,raising the fry is difficult. Incredibly small when first hatched
    so require very small foods. The main problem though is what to do with the males when they become aggressive.
    Are you sure you want to wash a hundred or so jars every other day?? lol Do you have an area large enough and warm enough to keep that many containers??
    If you're really serious about breeding Bettas I'd look into either buying or making a Betta Barracks type setups.
    learn how to culture live foods. Not much use in getting them to reproduce if you can't raise the young??
    gary

• david713
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yeah i kno they can hundreds of babies ill figure lol but im going to give some away or maybe give it to a pet store i told my friend i wud give him half but ill figure it out but you can start by giving me some advice and also thing is mine makes the bubble nests under this lid bbut the boy and girl chase each other and mess it up so i put this box net thing and put the girl inside so they cant get to each other and the boy is on the outside doing what he does yeah hes a black crowntail with a red tail with black on the tips and a bit green where his tail starts coming out of his body oh yeah i got more tanks ill buy them lol

• woodnative
    17 years ago

david-
    Have your bettas spawned yet. Keep the males and females initially separate. Feed them well (a lot of live food, if possible). Keep the water clean and keep them warm (near 80). You should see the eggs within the female (whitish areas along their sides, more obvious in light colored females). Keep the male in a shallow tank, some floating plants, and some other plants for the female to hide if she is getting harassed. Introduce the two together, they should spawn within a day. Some pairs work easier than others, so you may rotate them a bit. Move the female after spawning to her own tank to rest and recover. I remove the male after the babies are free-swimming.

• david713
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yeah well the boy died for some reason i miss him and the two girls i had also i still have two males they have nice colors and im going to use them then ill go buy girls

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Here's what I did when I was a kid: (for Anabantids, in general)I just set up a tank with the water level a little above the heater element. I had token aeration, just enough to keep the water circulating so that the temp remained uniform throughout. I bought Water Sprite to float and a styrofoam coffee cup that I cut the bottom out and folded into quarters. I placed the styro on the water, where it floated. I kept the tank covered. I also added hay or dead grass and that would soon produce infusoria for the fry. I bought any old male and located a female that is egg-laden and had an obvious white spot on her abdomen. It's best to keep them separate at first and condition them with live food. The male would build his bubblenest, incorporating bits of hay and Water Sprite and the two would mate. Once she is done, I removed her. The fry began emerging in a day or two and the make would take care of them, scooping them up in his mouthand blowing them back into the nest. After about a week, the fry were free-swimming and I would remove the male. Meanwhile, I had a baby brine shrimp hatchery going, that the fry were now big enough to eat. About 3 weeks of age is a critical time for the young, becaue theor breathing apparatus is being developed. Some will die. You don't get a whole lot of adults from a brood, but it's still fun.

• david713
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey well i only have 1 betta left im sad the last one was one of my two first bettas idk why he died maybe cuz of age he was pretty big and fat meaning h ewas an older fish but maybe he was depressed hey i have guppies now and i have about 24 fry in a 5 and 1/2 gallon with live plants a heater and an air pump and gravel so ho wlong till they start showing true colors only about 2 are because they the oldest about over a month old the kings of the tank and the biggest one of the oldest is showing orange pink like the other two but the other two show black in their tails but idk if they will grow im oatient but i think its because b-4 i put them in the 5 and 1/2 gallon i had them in little bowls dat were cold and dirty and crowded so?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES