Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my betta sick?

Posted by aeonapocalypse VA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 19:26

I have had my betta for almost a year now. He hadn't been doing so well. He was very inactive for quite some time. So I moved him downstairs where there was more activity and he seemed much better. I decided to bring him on the three hour trip up to school, which he has survived no problem before. A few weeks after the trip he has started to be really inactive. He's been acting this way for about 2 weeks now. He won't swim and it actually looks like he CANT swim upwards. I feed him and he wont eat. He can't swim, nor will he eat. I have never seen him in this state before and it worries me. Is he dying? What can I do to make him better??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my betta sick?

Sounds like he is in a bowl or un-cycled type aquarium (just a hunch, I'm just assuming). A betta kept in a bowl, unheated with no bio-filter doesn't surrvive much past its lifespan of 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. Usually they are about 6 months when you get them, so there ya go. To help a bigger bowl or a 5 gallon tank with a heater. When temperatures drop the water gets colder slowing down metabolism. He wont eat as much or at all and becomes lathargic. This makes them more suseptable to disease or shaves time off their lifespan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here