Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Got: Crabs?

chickadeedeedee
18 years ago

Hi all.

We went to WalMart several weeks ago and ~~somehow~~ I got talked into purchasing a small container that held an even smaller critter.

The label said: Red Crab. Add salt to water.

Do we need a red crab? No! Did we buy the red crab? Yes. :-)

It is about an inch long and so far is doing very well for us as he/she eats bits of squid and brine shrimp. The crab is very active and although not much to cuddle...is an interesting individual and we are happy to have her with us..

Does anyone have any clues how we might get an ID on this WalMart refugee? I have taken pictures but with a 35mm camera so there's a bit of lag time until the film gets developed.

Thanks for your help.

C3D

Comments (6)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Perhaps it is a red-clawed crab? See pic at link below. I had a pair of these many years ago and they were very entertaining, and so interesting when they molted. It took about a day each time.

One warning, if these are what you got, they will spend all day every day trying to escape. The pet store I got them at said they were never getting them in again because they got out and all over the place in the store room - well I guess they should have been better prepared but still, they will do ANYTHING to get out.

Despite my best efforts with tape and foil and anything I could think of, they outsmarted me and I found them on the floor a lot. Luckily they can live for a little while on dry land. The male eventually died while molting (apparently a risky time for them) and the female disappeared - I can only guess she got to where she was trying to go. Like down the vent or something. They are adorable but be warned about the escaping. The male had a cute warning signal, waving his big claw back and forth, if any fish ventured near him.

Oh yes also I don't know what they told you to feed them, but mine liked shrimp pellets and spirulina pellets. I don't even know what the recommened food is, but I wouldn't rely on scavenging alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Clawed Crab

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I had one way back. I didn't know much about it, I think I was about 15, not much usefull info then. Just a monthly magazine, outdated books and mostly bad advise from the pet stores. Mine died and found out later that it shouldn't be left completely submerged. A "small" container is dangerous for most pets. Small containers/aquariums are really not for beginers. Hope this helped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Claw Crab

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Way better info from northspruce. If I had set up my aquarium that way it probably would have made it.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Oh yeah good point about the small container - I assumed you would have added it to an aquarium. I think a small-ish aquarium with some driftwood to climb out on would be ideal. I had mine right in with the fish and they did ok but probably would have liked to climb out on something (besides my carpet).

Keep in mind they prefer warmer water too.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for all the fantastic information and links!

Harriet (LOL!) is in a 55 gal. aquarium complete with driftwood, stones and filtration as well as a gravel beach for tanning. :-) I use the fresh frozen foods that are for the marine fish and some fresh frozen food for omnivoures. There are no fish in the water.

Yeah right....someone told me how to feed or care for the little thing at WalMart! :-) Even if someone had told me what to do I know I would still need to read or ask about the proper care for the crab.

Thanks again for all your help!

C3D

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Harriet will be a happy crab no doubt. Glad she got a big home. Still keep an eye out for escaping if you have any cords or tubes going in and out. :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville