Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfan

what size tank for gourami?

daylilyfan
18 years ago

I asked some questions here a few weeks ago. The web sites people gave me have provided LOTS of good info.

I am limited on space and $ for a tank. A friend highly recommended "Eclipse" tanks. I think I could do their 25 or 29 gal. - that would be about the biggest I could do with the space I have.

Been to some local shops, and I am drawn to the gourami's. The cichlids are pretty, but don't want aggresive fish, or ones that will out grow the tank. I really liked the dwarf gourami, Honey's, Fire Honey, Gold, and Red Dwarf so far.

I understand they would like to have a tank that has lots of stuff to hide in, and figured I would give up on having live plants, as it sounds to complicated - I think the **fake** sounds a easier to maintain.

SO.... questions are

In a 25 or 29, how many dwarf gourmai would work? Most sites I went to said to have at least 3-5 for them to be "happy"... does that mean I could mix colors or 3-5 of one type?

Can I have all males? I don't think I want any breeding going on. I would have no way to handle any fry - unless they would just eat them, which does not sound like a good thing. I've always like mollies, but that's why I don't want live bearers either. Had them as a kid and hated it when the babies got eaten.

Would one male betta go ok with them?

Also as a kid, I had a shark that was black, with a red tail. It got several inches long after a few years. I really liked that fish! Would one of those work?

Would neon tetras go ok with the gourmai in this size tank?

Any other really colorful but non-aggressive fish to recommend?

I am assuming I will only want 3-5 larger fish for this size tank.

There is a town about an hour away that has a very large very well known aquarium store in it. Would the fish do ok if I went there to buy them? Can they do ok in the plastic bags for an hour or more? The ones in the town I am in don't look so hot. We only have chain pet stores. The kind where each tank has several dead fish in it.

Thanks again for your help!

Sponsored
The Art of Landscape
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Award Winning Landscape Artist & Designer for Larger DC Metro Area