Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalibellule_gw

Good plant for betta bowl?

lalibellule
17 years ago

I have a 2+ gallon bowl with one male betta and am looking for a good plant for it. Something that would just sit on the bottom and look leafy would be ideal, but I'm not sure how feasible that'll be in just a bowl with marbles. =) There's a desk lamp beside the bowl as well, so it's pretty shiny in there.

It would just be nice to have something green besides the algae; the betta seems to enjoy the green slime significantly more than I do (although he always seems disappointed when he grabs a bite of it and discovers it is not delicious). Obviously the plant can't cover a lot of surface, as he needs to breathe.

So, any aquatic plants for dummies suggestions?

- Lali

Comments (7)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Java Fern for the plant. A desktop aquarium with heater and filtration for the fish. One of the Eclipse complete set ups is good. Just add a heater. Theyhave a light and lid. If this is an office environment, I would get something to cover the tank when you leave or the night. The usual fluorescent lights on almost all day will really help the algae grow. Also marbles aren't the best choice for subastrate, even though they look cool.

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

I agree with woeisme. A bowl is not a suitable habitat for any fish, including a Beta.

The smaller Eclipse tanks, even the 3, make excellent habitats for Betas (and little else) and you could grow a few small live plants in it too.

As the lights are on a separate cord, they can be plugged it into a timer while leaving the filter running continually.

• lexie1397
    17 years ago

Hello! When I was on the hunt for good no-care aquarium plants, both the java fern and java moss were suggested to me, especially for lower light conditions (which doesn't seem to be a problem for you). The first plant I ever bought was the one linked below, and it has been wonderful. It has been in both low and medium lighting conditions without ever showing signs of distress. However, I have no idea what it's called!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:379739}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

A 5 gallon Mini bow isn't too expensive and comes with a nice Whisper filter.

Tom

• lalibellule
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was concerned about the java fern because I've seen them listed as low-light, and I'm not sure that's what I have.
    Thanks for the responsible pet ownership lecture.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Personally, I like to utilize Water Sprite. It floats or can be planted. And if you ever want to breed them, the floating plant can be incorporated into the bubblenest. It's also great for hiding livebearer fry.

• lalibellule
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is that Ceratopteris cornuta? Or thalictroides? I'm finding both labeled as water sprite. (Probably doesn't matter for my purposes, anyway.) I haven't seen it locally, would probably have to order. Lots of comments that it's a strong grower, I might even have to trim! =)
    Having watched a friend and her roommate breed their bettas a few years ago (and adopting the fry with lordosis for his two-ish months of life, refusing to call him "Humpy" as he had been named, poor thing), I think I can safely say that this fish's three-year run of bachelorhood will not be ended any time soon.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA