Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love4daylilies

lots of iron

love4daylilies
18 years ago

I would like to get an aquarium for my daughter for Christmas however, we have an iron problem with our well water. A few years ago we tried one of the Sponge Bob tanks and tried guppies in it and had also tried 2 goldfish (these were seperate times trying). That tank was small enough that I brought water from my parents house that didn't have iron in it. We had nothing but problems with that tank and couldn't keep anything alive in it.

At my old house I had a 55 gallon tank and had no problems with it but I also had better water. The iron in our water stains things pretty quickly and changes color in the tub if the softener runs out of salt.

I have been searching on the internet for answers about iron in the water but I must not be searching the right as I haven't found anything. Is there something you can put in the water so it doesn't change color in the aquarium? I live in a small town and have not found any people that have been able to help me out.

I also read on the internet that if you have copper plumbing that is lethal to fish? When we built our house my husband insisted on copper as he hates the plastic pvc. Am I doomed not to have an aquarium? If I stuck to a 10 or 12 gallon tank I could bring water from my parents house to fill it.

Also are the acrylic tanks hard to clean and keep up? I have only had the glass tanks in the past other than this Sponge Bob one that was the biggest nightmare ever.

What type of water testing kit should I try to find to buy?

Thanks in advance!

love4daylilies

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction