Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdinthepalm

New Angelfish on the market? Pterophyllum orange kois etc.

birdinthepalm
18 years ago

I have to say, though it seems the larger and perhaps more colorful cichlids may be the "in" fish for collectors perhaps these days, the old fashioned fresh water angelfish were always my favorites or at least in the top few of favorites, but going to over four different local chains and small pet stores, I only found one or two regular angles in total for all those stores. It's either a case of the stores not stocking many of them anymore, or they're the first fish to sell after a new shipment comes in. Very disappointing to say the least, but in my search online to find some sources there, I came upon a site that sells some new vaieties I'd never seen before, though they're extremely expensive and of course very small fish for the prices. Anyway if the pictures aren't at all retouched those "new"?? orange kois are the most colorful angels I've ever seen and I'd love to have those. From past experience though, it seemed to me that all those sports, mutations, or just selective breeding made for some very hard to keep and sensitive breeds, or at least it seemed that way to me. I'd be curious, if any of our tropical fish enthusiasts on this forum has similar experiences with all those various breeds of angels and if anyone has yet tried the new orange koi varieties. It just seems, though I might save my pennies for a while to buy a few of those exciting new angels I have a suspicion they'd be even the most difficult to keep alive yet bred?? At over $50 each for "dime sized bodies" I'd sure hate to lose them!!!

Comments (24)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

The Koi angels are a crossbreed of golden and blushing angels, I think. They have become very popular. I guess they are more "sensitive" being that the blushing angel is supposed to be the most sensitive>>. $50 is alot for this fish. I could have sworn I have seen them from $5-$10. I have never bred angels but from what I have heard it is not considered difficult. The Koi's shouldn't be any different. I know if you do a yahoo search on angel breeding you will get several excellent articles and directions.

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had no way of knowing how long the kois have been around and the old thing of "supply and demand" applies to even any new fish on the market, though from what you've said they're available in stores now?? I sure wouldn't pay those prices if I could find them offered for less even in local stores. I do remember having problems however with the blushers though year back!!

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I first saw the Koi Angels a few years ago in a persons house I was working at. It turned out that he bred them and sold them on the internet. I then started noticing them in LFS's. I am not sure how long they have been around.Thats when I first noticed them, could have very well been overlooked because I didn't know of their existance. I do know that 20+ years ago in my location only veiltails, black, silver and marble where available. Then again I was limited to as far as I could pedal my bike.

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess I'm outside the mainstream these days since I've not had a car in many years, and I don't get to the larger stores in more urban places like Detroit , which is sixty miles from me and with no bus available these days. I did see some pretty two inch albino oscars today at a Walmart near me and those had lots of pink spots which I wondered would stay on them the rest of their lives? I'd love having some breeding angels, though my one pair years ago, didn't seen to produce fertile eggs, even though I think I had a pair. I guess however, angels can fool you, when two decide they'll try spawning even when you have two females. It did seem the one had a longer and thinner spawning tube, while the other did produce eggs, but none ever looked fertile. I must say somewhat surprising to me is that it seems so far, that our local Walmart has the healthiest looking fish and the cheapest aquariums and other associated items. I think even the pearl scale? ones weren't around, when I had my angels years ago. though there were blushing ones, veils, zebra lace, blacks, and black lace or veils, etc. and I've not spent much time over the past several decades in pet stores , so I may have missed the kois somewhere along the way.

• james_ny
    18 years ago

It's expensive to stay on the leading edge. In a few years they will priced much lower. There's too many breeders competing to keep the price up.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Dr.s Foster Smith also sells fish over the phone and online. The site is www.liveaquaria.com . The shipping is flat rate $29.99 any where in the US, to the door via FedEx. The Koi angels are currently about$7 each. They also have a good selection of fish and plants, as well as S.W. critters and live rock. They also have even better prices then Wal-Mart on some items and a huge selection ( that site is www.drsfostersmith.com).

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

hmmm, oculd you post a link to that "orange koi" angel. my breeding pair years ago was a female koi and a male marble (high percentage of body black). my spawns were marbles and kois.

before i was into the hobby, i didn'tlike angelfish. i thought there were only striped ones. then, shortly into the hobby, i fell in love with the beauty of this male and prefer marbles to this day. they are no more sensitive, imo. unfortunately (to me) i found a male koi and split up my breeding pair in order to have both male and female koi together. i took a chance but they bonded...my beautiful male was, well, i am being sappy.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

This is the direct link to the live aquaria site and page for the koi angel. Is that what you needed?

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Angel

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the link!!

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

thank you, woeisme! yep. my kois had less black than the one on the right, closer to the blusher but with more black than that. i guess wht i am trying to say, mine weren't somewhere in the middle, closer to the lighter end, but not enough to say that is what it looked like. some people call them gold marbles, i think. mine had an intense orange on the 'forehead' but no blushing. one of my fry did come out blushing.

by orange koi, i was picturing the entire body being orange. i so wish i had a pic of my marble. he even had some blue...i mean real blue (though only in his dorsal fin) and not a blue ghost blue. amazing.

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have to think if I decide I do want angels again, I'll be lucky to find even the most "basic" ones here, since it seems none of the stores here even have any. I asked one place , why no angels and she said they were ordered but didn't arrive, and I just wonder if they're so popular that the suppliers and breeders can't keep up with demand. I like even the species ones, if those are even available these days, but I'd think unless breeders were carefull over these many years of breeding them domestically they might be a bit "mixed" as far as blood lines go. I've had blacks and marbles and love those as well, but I might want to try some of the newer breeds.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Now that I learned the very simple task of copy, cut and paste, I can provide more links easier. I'm better at DIY then pc's LOL. The info here is usually accurate. I hope they profile more species one day. Scoll down a bit there is a good pic of a Koi angel, the bigger pic that is. The first smaller pic has alot of white. The second large pic is like Fairy described.

Here is a link that might be useful: A good profile and info

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's a link to the spot I mentioned, if that's ok! They have some that even have a combination of black, white , and orange on the same fish, but the most expensive have nearly all orange bodies, I guess?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mellow Aquatics

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

well, all i can say is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang. i have never seen so much orange!

my koi was most like the middle pic on woeisme's posted link, with normal fins. the male had more intense orange than she did but nothing along the lines of covering 90% of the body....

what i have noticed is it is getting harder to find angels without the notch between the mouth and eye, making it look likethere is a nose. the ones i picked, except one inadvertently, looked more rounded or smooth. then again, they were small and i am wondering if the notch is becoming visible as they grow.

• dobesrule
    18 years ago

The Koi Angels have been around for at least 15 years. The problem with getting Agels thru retail outlets is that during the mid-80's they developed some sort of viral infection that is almost always fatal. Most of the commercial wholesalers became infected and healthy Angels became impossible to get thru them. That only left hobbiest as a source of good fish. Healthy ones are still very hard to find thru pet stores. I make it a rule to never buy Angels that have been in a store for less than two weeks or I have to know they are getting them thru a breeder and not a wholesaler. Then never mix new fish with old ones until you've had the new ones for a couple months. If they survive that long you can be reasonably sure they are healthy.

Lisa

• woeisme
    18 years ago

The all orange hybrid should be renamed "Comet Angel".

• dreammaker2623
    18 years ago

I have one of the orange koi angelfish that is mated with a zebra angelfish. So far no babies but I am not ready to raise any. I will be building a fish room in the garage with in a few weeks so that I may breed not just angelfish but other animals like the dwarf orange crawfish.

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

cool beans, dream!! good luck! wish i had one :) or even a basement. dh thinks more than one tank is a pet store :(

• panspipes
    18 years ago

Hi there. Did you say you were around Detroit? I'm currently breeding a gold pearl scale with a veil koi. Might be a gold marble veil. Kinda hard to tell. Gorgeous though. How the hell do ya post a pic in here? I'll see if I can figure it out. Anyway, I'll be happy to give you a couple when they're ready. They just laid eggs last week, but due to a recent tank switch they got a lil freaked & ate them. They'll breed again soon, I'm sure. That was their 4th time. Hit me back in here or go to my new email addy- kellydosch@yahoo.com
    Nope. Couldn't figure out how to post a pic. I can email you pix if you want, or if you know how to post them in here let me know.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Took me an eternity but Sierra told me how. Go to the "gallery" by clicking "gallery" at the top of the first thread message. Once you are there scroll all the way down to post a new message. If you scroll down past that there are directions. Anyway, print your text part then hit "preveiw message". It is there where you can add the pic. They have to be resized to 60 kb or less. You can use your photo software on your pc to adjust and resize. This was the part that had me, I couldn't find that option for a while. I have photosuite 4, it is in the upper left hand corner where it says (file) (edit) (adjust). Click adjust then click resize from that menu after you have picked a picture.

• panspipes
    18 years ago

Thanks woeisme. I think I got it figured out. It says only the topics listed with the camera icon can post pix though. That's where I got stumped. No camera icon in aquariums.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

There is a "back door" to put it on a post in discussions. I don't really know how. I think you have to use "photo bucket" and go to a board in here that uses the camera icon. I think once you do it there it allows you to post on this board somehow>> I really don't know how, but thats the way I got it from someone, I think? LOL

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i am not sure if photobucket is accepting anymore free accounts, but give it a try. there are other hosts but i odn't know the names. it has been awhile so bear with me...

get your account, load jpg onto host from your computer, highligt the tag line for the photo, copy paste into your text.

{{gwi:379884}}

{{gwi:379886}}

{{gwi:379887}}

{{gwi:379888}}

• vijaykasi_hotmail_com
    18 years ago

Well guys,
    I was amazed by these orange marble kois. When I found some nice veil tailed varieties, I bought the whole bunch (cost me a fortune and I felt stupid but I could not resist buying them).
    Now I plan to quit breeding my big black marble veils and focus on breeding these orange kois. The ones I have are all veils and the orange is only on the forehead like red cap oranda goldfish. They are the mable variety and have a few black streaks on a silver background and appear more beautiful than the almost completely orange ones seen on the mellow aquatics web site. Without doubt, I am impressed by the fish at mellow aquatics and have no reason not to believe them. In the next few years I am sure orange angels of many variations will be top sellers and widely available.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor