Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

Java Fern with blackened spots

AnneCecilia z5 MI
15 years ago

I did a search on Java Ferns (my, but that plant is mentioned in posts a whole lot!) but couldn't see anything with my particular problem. I've had this Java Fern for over a year in my 20 gal. community tank. (I run a very simple tank; no CO2 injection, no special light set up, although I do have the "flora" rated florescent tube in my tank cover.) My JF is tied to a large lava rock as a central feature in the tank. It has been steadily growing since I purchased it as a small, sad looking specimen from a local PetSmart. They had it buried in substrate in the plant tank but I took it home, washed it and tied it to its rock (something I learned here, thank you one and all) and it has been steadily growing and growing ever since, both the central plant and the subsequent baby plants. Now it is a very nice sized clump and I love its bright green color in the tank. I recently realized that it is getting more and more small blackened areas on its leaves. None of the leaves seem to die off from this, but it just doesn't look very nice. I thought maybe it was snail damage? (just can't seem to get rid of the darn things - best I can do is keep the population in check somewhat!) Any suggestions?