Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikelodeon79

Gouramis and Danios in the same tank

nikelodeon79
16 years ago

Hi All,

I currently have a 20 gallon tank that contains a male dwarf gourami, 2 female gold gouramis, 2 gold tetras, 2 corys, 2 ottos, and one fish that I don't know the name of. (it is about the same size as the tetras but is see through with a bright red-orange tail). (Please note that I bought all of these fish at Petco where the associate told me they would all get along just fine). So far, they are getting along, but after doing some research I don't know how long that will last. I have had the tank for several months, but occasionally still have an ammonia problem which I believe is due to overcrowding. This will obviously only get worse as the fish grow.

I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank that I plan to use for African Cichlids. I threw 3 zebra danios in there to cycle the tank. The tank is almost cycled and the zebras will need a new home (to avoid becoming lunch for the cichlids). I figure I should purchase another tank but I don't want to go larger than a 10 gallon. My question is this: Which fish should go in which tank? I plan on keeping a pair of ottos and a pair of corys in each tank. I'm thinking of this:

10 Gallon:

Dwarf Gourami, tetras, see through fish, 2 corys, 2 ottos

20 Gallon:

Gold Gouramis, zebras, 2 corys, 2 ottos

-OR-

10 Gallon:

Dwarf Gourami, zebras, 2 corys, 2 ottos

20 Gallon:

Gold Gouramis, tetras, see through fish, 2 corys, 2 ottos

I want to give the Zebras more room to swim, but I don't want them eaten by the Gold Gouramis. I've also read that zebras can make a Dwarf Gourami nervous. The tetras seem to do fine with the gouramis right now. I really like neon tetras and thought about adding some of those to the 10 gallon as well but I don't want to overcrowd.

Or should I keep all the Gouramis in the 20 gallon with the 2 corys and 2 ottos and move all the smaller fish into a 10 gallon? I read that gold gouramis & dwarf gouramis should never be put together but mine are doing fine at the moment. My concern is that one day they'll decide they're not going to get along.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored