Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gah! betta with ich!

Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 13:20

What medication is best? I've read about adding rock salt to the aquarium, but it already has aquarium salt (1 tbs/ 5 gallons). Is that too much salt? There are also platies, ghost shrimp, and coto catfish in the tank.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gah! betta with ich!

I use the salt method and it has never failed. The thing is to bring the salinity way up and increase the heat. The heat speeds up the life cycle of ICH and the salt kills it. Since you use salt allready the ICH in your tank may have a little more tolerance then most strains. There have been people that said this treatment doesn't work because their strain of ICH withstood it. It has always worked for me , when I did it per directions in this article. It may be that the people using the salt method did it incorrectly or didn't bring the levels up for as long as necessary. I like to stay away from the more harsh medications because they can usually cause other problems. I also would reccomend not using rock salt unless it is food grade. Most rock salt for melting ice is very dirty. You should probably isolate your betta to a QT/hospital tank while treating him.The cats most likely wont like the salt and if you do have to use a stronger medication its better to only treat the infected fish.

Here is a link that might be useful: treating ICH with salt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here