Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fgilles02420

Blue green algae problem

fgilles02420
16 years ago

I'm having a new problem with blue green algae in one of my established tanks.It's 75g with an Emperor 400 filter: 6 platies, 5 zebra danios, 3 black neons, 8 serpae tetras, one bristlenose - some java moss, one anubias and a whole mess of anacharis. Regular fluorescent lighting.

I've read that this can be due to poor circulation, but most of the problem is directly under the point where the water returns to the tank from the power filter. (The huge mass of anacharis is at the other end of the tank).

Any suggestions? I want to correct the cultural conditions, not dump chemicals into the tank. None of my other tanks have this problem.

Comments (2)

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    When you say "blue green" do you mean fixed attached types or the sheet forming smelly ones?? lol Sounds like your tank is not overloaded >How about water changes??
    I recently setup a 150 in direct sunlight and I'm getting the fuzzy attached bright green types but so far very controlled. I'm using Chinese algae eaters which do a great job and 10 gallon a day water changes. All the plants are doing well and are staying clean.
    I suspect no matter what you do every tank will eventually get some type of algae. They are sooooo adaptable. gary

• cactus_lord
    16 years ago

It doesn't sound that bad and i'm sure its nothing a few corydora's or plec can sort out. Try not to overfeed while the 'clean-up crew' are doing their work.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler