Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ro water for marine aquarium

Posted by momofboys3 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 14:51

1. I am starting a new marine aquarium. I made the water with tap water and coralife salt. Put in some live rock 3 weeks ago and now have a coating of brown which I think is a diatom bloom. I have read I need to change water over to RO water to get the diatoms to die off. Can I just buy some bottled water such as culligans or hinckley or do I have to schlep over to my fish store that is not too close by to get RO water from them?

2. My ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero and nitrates 5-10 so I think the tank has cycled. Can I add fish during this diatom bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ro water for marine aquarium

Hi
Would suggest you seek out some of the more marine centered websites.?? Not much info here as it's usually pretty dead lol.
When i ran marine I used collected seawater but when I did have to make it I always used RO water as a base.
I'd find a good reliable source for Ro water since you will always need more for water changes anyway.
From your readings sounds like it's cycling about norm.
. There is always some die off from live rock and "ALGAE is an eternal problem lol Good luck wirth your new tank.
gary

o
RE: ro water for marine aquarium

HEY! no need to move on to another channel, yes marine aquariums need to use RO water due to the dissolved nutrients in tap water, also heavy metals. you can use distilled water from local grocery stores. distilled water and RO water are acidic so you must ammend each gallon with RO right to bring to sea levels of cations. post more please, I love helping out with marine tanks, esp coral setups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here