Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of Gourami have I been given?

Posted by greenclaws England (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 07 at 16:09

Hi, I have been given asked to give a Gourami (and a couple of other orphans which I know the names of) a good home along with my other tropicals. It's grown a lot since being in a larger tank and is around 8cms long. The other elongated ray/fin is there, it's just tucked out of sight...I need to know more about it so can you ID it for me please.....thanks.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of Gourami have I been given?

Looks like a blue gourami...

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-bluegourami.htm

o

Thanks, being relatively new to trops, I was a bit confused as to if it was a Blue (aka 3 Spot or Opaline) as there doesn't appear to be two distinct spots....although the caudal spot is sort of there. Guess it's just not a very good example?
Gill.

o

That is very definitley an Opaline Gourami and it appears to be an egg-laden female. In one old book it is also called a Cosby Gourami. Its scientific name is Trichogaster trichopterus, which is also the same scientific names of the blue, gold, butterfly, etc... - just one of the strains thereof. Easy to breed!

o

Petiolaris, hello. Interesting as it's the only Gourami my neighbour has ever had and I don't have another either!! Between us we have had 'it' for over 12 months. I was going to ask for an opinion as to it's sex. Must admit I thought 'it' was a male as the dorsal fin extends to the beginning of the caudal fin. On all the pics of the females have found their dorsal to end much shorter than this. Possibly the light bouncing back off the pectoral area gives a false impression of a plump egg laden female?
I am NO expert believe me, so I am open to all opinions, and stand to be corrected! What does anyone else think?
Thanks in advance, Gill.

o

Admittedly, I was confused by the mixed appearance. The belly looks full and yet the finnage seemed pointed. If the finnage is true and the belly not, then you do indeed have a male. Would you like to breed him? They are real easy.

o

I do think it's the flash that makes it look fat, as head-on he is relatively slim. Admittedly he does have a good appetite and is first in the queue for flakes or mashed peas! Have thought about getting a partner, that's why my initial enquiry was to try and determine 'its' type and sex. Have read up on breeding them on-line and it does seem easy enough...and tempting as I have never bred a bubble nester before.
Gill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here