Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevabear

A pic of my new baby boy...

kevabear
11 years ago

Still doing a bit of hiding in his new digs, but getting a bit bolder. I can see how one could get quite addicted.. Now to come up with a name.

Comments (6)

• tammypie
    11 years ago

OMG! What a beauty he is! Just make sure he's in at least a 2-1/2 gallon, heated aquarium. And add a pinch of aquarium salt to his water with your weekly changes.

Regarding names, how about: Flame, Turbo, or Electra?

Best,
    TammyPie

• kevabear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for letting me know about the pinch of aquarium salt. I will do that. He is in a five gallon, nice and cozy warm. Those are great names. Maybe dissappointed with what I named him. As a kid growing up we always had a cat. If the cat was a boy, more often than not he was named Charlie. So I named my boy Charlie.

• tammypie
    11 years ago

Charlie is also a cool name - whatever name you feel is appropriate.

Make sure you feed him a variety of foods - pellets, flakes, frozen bloodworms and a cooked pea once a week. Also pick a day of "fasting" so he can clean out his digestive tract weekly.

TPie

• kevabear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for that information. He has pellets, flakes, and bloodworms. He gets the worms in the morning, flakes in the evening, and occasionally I'll put a pellet in there, he doesn't seem to care for those as much. I got a can of peas. I mushed one up and put bits of it in there but he would have nothing to do with it. Good to know about fasting him for a day, I will do that, today! Maybe I'll put the pea in there the day after he hasn't eaten, that way he'll be a bit hungry and maybe eat it.

• tammypie
    11 years ago

Invest in a bag of frozen peas. You can cook one for 7 to 10 minutes, let cool and feed about 1/8 of it to your boy. I read that canned peas are not good to feed to bettas.

I have a boy and a girl that love everything I feed them. Guess I'm lucky in that aspect.

How often are your changing your water?

• kevabear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will get a bag of frozen peas today and see how he likes them. I change his water every couple weeks. I took the filter out, he seemed to really not like it. I talked with someone at a petstore that has multiple betta's and she said she didn't have a filter in any of her betta tanks. So I took his out, and I do a thorough cleaning when I change his water. I have quite a few live plants floating on the top of his tank and he seems to really like that. He's got his bubble nest in a corner. I try to scoop it out when I change his water and then pour it back in when I am done.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!