Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexis_gw

A word of advice and caution to anyone buying betta bowls

alexis
17 years ago

I just wanted to bring an issue to all betta owners on this forum. I looked at the advertisements in the newspaper and one store (one of the local chain stores) was selling these decorative betta bowls: Martini glass, Brandy Snifter, Teacup, Fish-Shaped, and a Lavarium Kit (1.6 L tank shaped like a lava lamp which is covered on top, has bubbles that flow in the water, and changes 7 different colors). At these prices that these cost $20 and up, an one gallon acrylic tank would be safer to use and still affordable. Please, any new betta owners or potential ones, these new style of tanks are not suitable for bettas, no matter what the store says, and are too small for bettas to live in happily and in a healthy manner. Please stick to the standard 1 gallon or at least half a gallon tanks (the half a gallon ones with a hang on sponge filter and water fall are okay if you need an affordable one). Just wanted to let anyone considering buying a new betta bowl to avoid these new ones on the market. How a store could sell anyone of these new bowls to any customer and not feel guilty, I can't understand?

Comments (10)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Yeah it is pretty digusting how these fish are marketed. There are resteraunts that serve dessert dishes with bettas in glass bowls. The plate is on top of the bowl and the fish swims in the bowl. They place it on the tables for people to eat off of. You'd think PETA and those other groups would do something about this instead of protesting hunting.

• sherryazure
    17 years ago

I actually wrote peta once since at the time I donated. No reply, so stopped donating.

I always open my mouth at the local stores, and actually start selling customers the right thing. Manager lets me at one I go to, even let me set some up in larger bowls with banana plants - sold out!

(I feel so sorry for them, I often used to (had to stop) change their water each week) and at other huge place no body was there and guys were given bettas at a function, (nice present you now have to go and buy what is needed, thoughtless really) and I was suprised they bought what was necessary. Even a nice low light expensive annubias (never had a fish before so thought that would be easy to keep) Horrible and shows how we as a species (sans those who keep fish correctly of course) disregard other species (my background in science and later psychology and papers on animal abuse)

As a person who used to sell clothing while going through 2nd degree, I don't understand why they don't realize they would make more money. Little tank with heater, filter so on, plant or two, cave... I think little set up for 20 - 25.. better price target met and happy customer who will buy more later. At least that's what I suggest and have shown them when I do a sell - sold 80 bucks worth once. People just need education and that's the key. Most places don't really care.
    sigh Sherry

• dreamgarden
    17 years ago

My local pet store had betta cups stacked 4 deep. I contacted PETA and they answered right away.

I realize not everyone likes PETA, but if you DO care an iota about fish, when you go to your local fish store, please take the time to stack the Betta cups so that the air holes aren't blocked.

• wildspirit922
    17 years ago

Oh, I agree so wholeheartedly. I keep asking the store owners, "Just because they CAN live like that, does it mean they should? I suppose you could live in a coffin sized room when you think about it, right? Would you want to?"

• joaniesgarden
    17 years ago

There isn't enough 'care and feeding' information out there offered for fish in general and any species should be researched before buying. (just like cats and dogs) It would seem that people who buy gift fish for people/kids would include that information?
    A few people have told me the bettas that were bought for them as a flower arrangement also included so many flower stems in the bottle/vase they couldn't get to the surface for air and died.(They didn't learn till later what was the case) It's such a disposable society, it's sickening to think of all the carnage due to ignorance. (some would say: "Oh well, it's just a fish!") ...doesn't that just make your blood boil?! >:

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

There is a TON of betta and other fish info out there on the net, as well as many other aquarium forums, if people would just google Betta they'd see that.

I just googled Betta fish for this experiment and got back 984,000 hits.

Happy holidays and new year to all!

Tom

• imaginators
    17 years ago

Well I will get my one cent in...WalMart has their Bettas in a cup with maybe a 1/2 inch or less of water. Let me see... a cup of very little water filled with a day's waste. OMGosh!! The poor fish is swimming in a polluted toilet. Anyone who buys their fish are basically rescuing them but no guaranteed if they will survive after that treatment. A Betta in a bowl without filtration is heartless unless you clean their bowl regularly. Who would want to swim in their own waste??? I personally had a Betta in a 1 gallon vase with a Peace Lily and changed the water daily. I felt so bad, I ended up getting a 12 gallon filtered, heated tank for him. End of story..my WalMart Betta is no longer living.
    Theresa

• kangonia_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

If people would just stop breeding these "veil tailed" bettas to begin with, maybe they wouldnt be so disposable. they are mass produced for sale and the people who breed them are only in it for the few doallars that they get for them. REAL bettas like "Halfmoons" and "double-tails" ext... go for around 35-100$ or more and if your spending that much on a betta i think a lot more people would put more thought and research into buying and caring for these fish.

• darkruler
    16 years ago

i just bought a betta.i dont have a name for him yet.i did get mine from a walmart.i sure hope he is happy i have him in a 5 gallon hex aquarium,heater,filter.i also couldn't believe how they treat these fish i feel so bad for them that i just want to buy them out of.

• dgluton_gmail_com
    12 years ago

There is a ton of data available on the web and in bookstores about how to care for fish, and if you frequent the mom and pop stores instead of superchains you can usually get better advice.
    As for PETA, they can bite me, I'm an omnivore and have been harassed by PETA for hunting my own meat, there are much better animal rights groups out there, and if you really care about the animals get off the computer, get some like minded friends and a license and picket the store for a couple weekends. When you picket don't try to prevent business, but instead provide fliers with a list of helpful data, maybe ask the managers if you could assist in educating their associates in sales tactics and/or appropriate living conditions for specific breeds they sell.

Remember, if you care, don't make a report, make a difference!

Sponsored