Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoenixrain

Do you name your fish?

PhoenixRain
19 years ago

I was just wondering if yall give names to your fish? I name ALL my fish. I have a Gold Severum that I name H.R. Puff and Stuff,, lol, anyone remember that show as a kid? I have named my Gold Algae Eater, Jackie Chan. Sometimes I use the last part of the fishes name, like Sydo.Angelicas, i name her Angelica and Lamp. Logus Calvis i name him Calvis. I think its fun to give them names. :) ~PhoenixRain~

Comments (33)

• faltered
    19 years ago

I used to name my fish, but then it makes it more sad when they die. Plus it seemed like as soon as I name one it croaked.

So I don't do that anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

• PhoenixRain
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Faltered,, you have some great picts on ur site! Oh and congrads on ur graduation!
    ~PhoenixRain~

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

had an angelicus catfish- gabriel
    a julii cory- cc, short for chester cheetah (b/c of the spots)
    the general term for many- little %^#@

• glen3a
    19 years ago

I have goldfish DJ (Diamond Junior), he's named after the dog. Another one named Oreo, because she's kind of white in color.

Two koi: Rex, because everyone associates that as a dog name and I thought it would be cool for a fish.

And one named Para, short for paranormal because she's mostly white like a ghost. She's also very skittish and jumped once, so Para might also stand for paranoid.

Hey, they're family.

• PhoenixRain
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Glen3a,, when i was a kid i found some puppies and one was black with a white tummy, and i named him Oreo! How cute!!
    I like your fish names exp. Para and Oreo,, great how we both feel they are part of the family. ;)

• gessiegirl
    19 years ago

My betta's name is Nit Noi, which is Thai for Little Bit. All my bettas have had names. Actually, everything that becomes part of my family, alive or not, usually gets named.

Betty

• maryo_nh
    19 years ago

I have four, they are still in the pond but I'm checking out aquariums. Aquaria. The two orange (comet) goldfishies are Lysander (the shy one) and Demetrius (the bigger one), and the two koi are Helena (the sparkly white one) and Hermia (red and white with black spots). Hermia is the leader of the gang, but on the whole they do a lot of chasing each other around. We got them June 21, midsummer, and years ago our son was Demetrius in the highschool Shakespeare play - hence the names.
    The frogs, we called the bull frog daddy "Bubba", the mommy "The Girl", and the two tadpoles "Hey, Look At That One", and "The Little One". Now, faltered, it was a good thing we didn't give them REAL names, because the heron took care of them good. We still have the little one. If it makes it through the winter I'll call it something. The name will depend on what I'm reading.
    If we get the aquarium and then maybe get a few more fishies, I'll probably call them Monty, Patton, and Ike - I'm reading A bridge Too Far at the moment. 50 cents at the church book sale!

MaryO

And, nobody wanted these two VERY poor looking garden books, but HA! there are coupons in them, $10 each, and I paid only 50 cents... heehee...

• cody_mi
    19 years ago

i have a blood parrot cichlid named pauly shore

• cynthiacTX
    19 years ago

Yes we do :)
    Heck I name some of my plants, so it's not that odd! LOL

Very simple names though. It's all about the fish/star/invertebrates personalities.

• maryo_nh
    19 years ago

We got our aquarium last Friday, and set it up with pondwater etc. and got six lovely new goldfish babies. And they are much to cute to give them war/general names! What was I thinking?!?!
    I have been tossing a few thoughts around, and I think fairy tale names are my favorite idea so far.
    - The white longtailed one with black fin&tail tips: Cinderella
    - The red and white longtailed one: Rapunzel
    - The red and white with the red fin on her back: little red (riding hood)
    - the white one with the apple-shaped (!!!) red spot on one side: Snowwhite
    - the orange one with black spots: Rumpelstiltkin and
    - the plain red and white one: I don't know. Maybe these last two will be Hansel and Gretl (sp?) instead.

*thoroughly enjoying the fishies*
    Mary

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

i love it, a theme! maybe two catfish can be added, and you can name them the brothers grimm (since th4ey sometimes eat other fishies).

• maryo_nh
    19 years ago

Hi toadmom! Even only one catfish sounds good - they are good cleaner uppers I hear. "Grimmy". Excellent idea!

BTW, did I ever tell you, no I didn't, we always have a toad in our garage too. Not always the same one - we know this because once every few years it gets in the way of a car on the driveway, in the dark... poor thing... but then another toad arrives. Favorite spot is under the old freezer's floor pallet. It had no trouble finding the pond last spring.

*Sigh*. How many months until spring?
    BUT *cheering up* I have my indoor fishies!

Mary

• bambulady
    19 years ago

Yup, as a kid I always named my fish and newts. I had a female guppy named Debbie, 2 newts named Olivia and Wayne....lol, get it? A turtle named Oscar, another named Myrtle. Then there were Winken and Blinken (named by my Dad when I was 5), there was no "Nod," ummm...let's see.....my oscars Oscar and Felix, aren't I original?? LOL.

• fairy_toadmother
    19 years ago

mary- hopefully tht toad had hundreds of decendants!!! very likely "coming from a puddle near you" (thinking of theaters with that quote)
    i will admit, it took me aminute on the newts :)

• hotzcatz
    19 years ago

"Fang", "Fido", "Spot" & "Wolfie". I think I'm up to Fang #9 and Fido #16 or so, but if you get the same kind of fish for each name, then they don't really need the numbers after their names.

• toadlilly
    19 years ago

We have a large (10" long) fancy tail albino oscar we named Moroni, then changed it to Angel when we found out she was a girl. She replaced two large oscars named Harvey and Bertha (family names). Bertha found a different home. Harvey died of old age-the Angel (who was only 1 1/2" then) took over the tank. She now rules the roost. We have a dojo-named dojo. We have a catfish that stays in a cave named Joker (because of the stripes). Our bala shark named Bala.

• gumnebula
    19 years ago

We just visited my parents for a Christmas Eve dinner and they were proudly showing off their new betta. He is quite beautiful and was strutting his stuff around the tank. I asked them if he had a name. They both chimed "Sushi".... we laughed for 10 minutes.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• PhoenixRain
    Original Author
    19 years ago

GUMNEBULA
    "They both chimed "Sushi"....

Thats so funny . Someone told me once or seen on TV where they lost their dog and they was hollering "TOFU" in the neighborhood.

• SideOne
    19 years ago

I never have named my fish, but i know them all if that makes any sense.

when my brother was about 6 or 7 he wanted to name them so i let him of course and he named them all after the neighbors and I laughed so hard! you know how they say a dog looks like its master and vide-versa, well it was the same for the fish afetrhe named them. ill never forget that.

now when my daughter is old enough to speak, ill let her name them.

• Kosplath
    18 years ago

I have two bettas whom I've named Sylvia Plath and Kurt Vonnegut.

They're swell!

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

My new betta is named Ryu (totally geeky from Mortal Combat)...

Other than that because I keep my guys inside in trios or duos I don't name them (pairs of loaches or gouramis look alot alike). One of bichirs is named little girl but she's not little anymore she caught right up with the two older ones. I can tell her apart because she spends most of her time out in the open.

Koi: Innocent, Naive, Blue Eyes, Crystal, Angel, Citrine, Silver, Arkansas, and Spasm (name under debate).

Goldfish: gilbert, clyde, lips, razor, zip, spot, and polka. Not all of the goldfish are named.

Adrea

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

2 black moores: Bara and Kuro

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

The Danios are named Danio, the Red betta is red betta, the oscar is named Oscarm onword into infinity.

• PhoenixRain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We just got a new dwarf cichlid and named him Plankton.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Normally I do not name fish. However I rescued a gold fish last fall.....A friend had just moved into a house and found a very small pond in the back yard. When she found it, it was covered with about an inch of ice....which melted during the day. A week or two later she thought she saw something move in there...so she called me to the rescue.......I lifted about 3 inches of ice off the top and found a nice little single tail goldfish. Scooped him up with some water and brought him home.

His name is Popsicle....we call him sicle for short.

• oceanbubbles
    18 years ago

I have many fish but only two have names so far. My betta is named Kolohe ( Hawaiian for Rascal) and my biggest discus is named Mondo Brando

• stampnscrapbskt
    18 years ago

We have 7 goldfish, which my sons have named after their favorite TV characters and a couple of their friends. Our blue oranda is named Blue, our fantails are Pooh and Scott, and our comets are Stanley, Dennis, Joey and Steven.

• kbm11
    18 years ago

I named my beta Lucky because he had a fall down the disposal! but he's ok and lucky to be alive! thank goodness!

• Lynn9
    18 years ago

goldfish; fluffy (very macho little bug eye), sharkey, guido, and fish sticks (sticky for short. Fish sticks has a big bite taken out of his back- most of them were "feeder" fish.

• PhoenixRain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

KBM>>>>>Wow fell in the garbage disposal ,, how lucky you got him out of there.
    Lynn>>> thats aweful he was half eaten. We had a guppy in our tank for a few months so we decided to buy a fancy tail and see if they would breed, well the next morning, they was both eaten. I felt bad after that

• triple_b
    15 years ago

We seem to enjoy naming our Plecos. I have had a 'Hoover' before. The one I have now, due to his magnificent size, we call 'Leviathan'.

"There the ships go to and fro,
    and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there".

Psalm 104 verse 26.

My clown loach I call "snuffy".

Our original two black moores we called "Sarah" and "Abraham".
    (can you tell we are bible readers?)

• greendude
    15 years ago

Hello! This is an interesting thread I just discovered! I have a 55gal full of mature tropical freshwater fish. I do, in fact, name some of the fish in the aquarium, but since I appreciate keeping large schools of smaller fish I will typically just name the "gang" of fish because it can get rather difficult to name nearly-identical fish in a school of 10-15. So here it goes:

-I have a Pearl Gourami named Liberace (Yes, I named a fish Liberace... those little iridescent spots just look like sequins to me. And when I think sequins I think Liberace.)
    -I have a school of nine Neon Tetras (down from 15; old age is starting to take its toll) called the "Wild Bunch."
    -I have a prolific four-generation family of about seven deep red Platys called the "Tomato Clan." All the males have died so I'm afraid this family has a finite future.
    -I have 4 Peppered Corydoras called the "Wolf Pack," even though they more resemble playful puppies.
    -I have a rather old and prehistoric looking Rubberlipped Pleco that is variously called things like "The Dinosaur" or "The Tank Monster" or "The Missing Link" or some such variable monniker.
    -I have three Silver Hatchetfish that are called "The Axe Gang" (as in the gang from Kung Fu Hustle).

Well there you have it, my terribly creative fish names. I'm sure a two-year-old could have come up with some more clever ones than that, but that's what happens when you feel the need to think of a name in the 5-10 minutes it takes to float their bag in the water before releasing them! Good day everyone!

• missydh
    15 years ago

of course i name my fish! i had a plecostomus named willy (after the movie free willy),
    my roomates and i have had beta fish named pepper, snorkel, cassanova, pamf, and neptune.
    i have a 7 year old clown fish named pokie (he had a friend named hokie about 3 years ago)
    i had kissie fish named scarlett and rhett
    i had a hong kong plecostomus named mao
    ive had many more, but these were my favorites