Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20 Gal on home-made stand: small GAP in front middle

Posted by lexxel (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 18:55

I just set up a 20gal tank on a home-made stand, well, actually it is an old kitchen cabinet with the counter top removed. I thought it was flat, but it turns out the front sags somewhat, this is from age and use, and I don't expect any more sag to occur... however, I knew there was about 1/2 inch sag in front, so I put the tank on a 3/4 inch foam (high density) slab... figured it would sink into the foam on the outside edges and even out... well it's been up for 24 hours full, and the foam seems to not be compressing at all... there is still a gap in front along the bottom of the frame, in the middle, about 1/16 inch, but all the way along the front getting less toward the sides. I would say the sides for about 3 inches touch the foam, but then the gap starts... as I said, worst in the middle...

Why isn't the foam compressing to take the load evenly?
What should I do now? Some have said don't worry about it bc it is only 20 gal.
I don't want to stress the fish out out and drain the tank... should I shim the middle or will the foam eventually compress? What should I shim with and how tightly? Can I shim without draining the tank?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20 Gal on home-made stand: small GAP in front middle

The foam will compress with time, but, if the gap is too much then you need to level it, when its only a few milimiters theres not much problem but if its more you have to level it. 20 Gal may not seem as much but got any idea how much a 20 gal tank weights when full ? the answer is around 200+ pounds and thats a lot of weight, weight that has to be evenly distributed over the standing surface because glass is anything but solid, glass bends and deforms under pressure, pressure caused by the water itself and in a tank the pressure points are in the middle of the long glasses that form the tank; specially in the bottom glass with time the silicone adhesive will break because the pressure pushes the bottom glass this pulls the adhesive and the adhesive breaks. I know it because I used to build tanks when I had the aquarium store and before installing the tank I had to level the surface with styrofoam so the tank would stand leveled at the bottom. Shim the middle. How thight ? until you have filled the gap.

o

May be a good idea to use a piece of 3/4 MDF or plywood over the top of the stand. Shim the gaps as raul said.

o

Yes put that flat piece of plywood under the tank and the styrofoam on top of the plywood then there should not be any gaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here