Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nippitta

Edited version of my previous post. Questions about my new Oranda

nippitta
14 years ago

My other post saying basically the same thing as below doesn't show up on the main page of Aquariums forum even though I posted it less than 20 minutes ago. It was there at first then POOF! Gone.

So I've had Bonnie and Clyde for five days now. I've had goldfish several times in my life but never Orandas. Bonnie is a red cap who is about 3.5 inches long while Clyde is orange and black and a good 4.5-5 inches.

I have three major concerns-

1. I'm not sure if I'm feeding them enough. I give them a combo of sinking pellets and flakes, mostly the pellets though, 2x a day. I gave them some peas without the shell today and they ate them right up. I'm concerned though because of the way Clyde thrashes about in the left hand corner everytime someone walks by. (Mainly me because their tank is right outside my bedroom door.) It's like he's asking me to feed him, I think. I do not feed them everytime I walk by, mind you, but it makes me feel bad. I've read that Orandas have huge personalities and people have a tendency to over feed them so... His behavior is normal then? I don't know. I think I'm just being a worry wart.

2. Bonnie's fins are troubling. Not only are they frayed but along the edge of each fin, excluding the pectorals oddly enough, is a line of black. At the pet store, I noticed the fraying but I thought it was because the other fish were picking on her. She was the smallest in there afterall and none of the other fish had anything wrong with their fins. The next day is when I realized the black edges. I don't know if it's all in my head but I think the line is getting thicker? Or maybe not. Clyde's fins are fine and that just adds to the confusion. Anyone know what's going on?

3. Clyde chases Bonnie a lot. During feeding time is the worst. He nudges his head into her and chases her around until she makes the quicker move and gets out of his way. They go back to trying to find food in the gravel until he decides she's in the way again, reapeat a lot. However, sometimes she nudges back and chases him a bit. Is this because Clyde's bigger and just is the dominant fish? Are they an incompatable pair? Will this constant chasing stress Bonnie out and make her unhealthy?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. :)

Comment (1)