Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reppy_gw

Betta not eating

reppy
16 years ago

A few days ago, my betta stopped eating. He has been in a divided 2.5 gallon tank with another betta for about 9 months now. I know some people think this setup is not ideal, but it seems to be working fine. Anyway, I noticed my betta hanging around the bottom of the tank, very listless and only occasionally coming up for air - after he did, he would just sink back down to the bottom. I tested the water quality and temperature - all ok. I put him in a separate bowl so I could observe him better. I see no signs of fin rot, or pop-eye or swollen belly. He seemed to perk up a little after a day or so (although still not eating), so I put him back in the tank. He still hangs around the bottom some, but can swim normally if prodded, so I don't think it's swim bladder. I even bought a new package of food, thinking maybe it had gotten old or something, and I tried feeding him dried blood worms. I've read about some people giving peas to their bettas - how do you prepare the peas and how big a piece do you give? If anyone has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.

Comments (3)