Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when fish forget to go to school

Posted by batboy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 05 at 21:49

well I baught these three fish in the stor they were all togther in a schoolthen I put them in my tank and they spread out then 1 died so I got so more but the same thing happend

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when fish forget to go to school

what kind are they? how long have you had the aquarium set up?

o

almost 1 year rummey noses

o

Most small tetras do well in groups of 8 or more. I find IME they usually school at night or when the aquarium lights are off. They usually stay in schools when there is a potential threat, like bigger fish. Not that the fish will necessarily eat them, but it is potentially a threat. When they feel more "secure" they tend to spread more or pair.

o

ok, so you hvae had them for a year and you just bought some replacements, right? and these have also died, right? all at once?

i never had these fish so i don't know if they are sensitive or prone to anything.

o

My experience with them is the same as Woeisme is saying. Once they are comfortable and feeling secure they don't seem to shoal as often. They got about their business until they feel threatened or I turn the lights off. When I check them in the morning I usually find that they are together, I guess they rest that way for the security of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here