Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panspipes

My stupid fish keep eating their own eggs!

panspipes
18 years ago

Are angelfish really THAT stupid? SOMEBODY'S breeding these things! HOW?! They've done it 4 times. They get plenty of food. It's a well planted 120gl tank with perfect water and a total of 6 fish. All angels. It's only one breeding pair. A gold veil tail marble and a gold pearlscale. They did actually hatch once, but then they ate all the fry. They take over half the tank defending the eggs for 2 or 3 days, then they just start casually munching away at them.

Comments (12)

• dobesrule
    18 years ago

The pair need to be in a tank by themselves. They are to nervous with the other fish in the tank.It's not uncommon at all for angels to eat their eggs. Sometimes it takes them a while to get the hang of things but if they keep feeling threatened by the other fish or by you peeking to much they will continue to eat the eggs.

Lisa

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

I've had success with removing anglefish eggs (using a dropper to suck them off the glass) and transferring to another tank. Treated eggs with methylene blue until they hatched. Truly, for me, the hardest part was feeding the fry and keeping the water clean enough. Unfortunately I wasn't successful with that part. Good luck!

• panspipes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Damn! I TOLD my roommate to stop hovering over the eggs all day. I KNEW she was freakin''em out.
    I considered removing the eggs and hatching them myself, but yeah, it's a full time job.

Thanks!

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i would love to have my angels in a 120! alas, a dream for a larger house first...hmmmmm, that chair could go.... :)

if you decide to hatch them out yourself, there are plenty of people and sites to offer advice. i would say the main thing next to feedings are daily water changes. i didn't hvae the luxury of the internet years ago and have learned many answers to questions i had then.

• woodcarver
    18 years ago

I have bred literally thousands of angels for re-sale .Used to have 90 tanks in the basement!!
    I found that some pairs made good parents and some didn't.
    You will not have a lot of luck raising fry in a community tank :(
    If you want to raise the fry ,remove the leaf with the eggs attached to a smaller tank or even a clean large jar. Suspend it so that you can place an airstone underneath and run a gentle flow over the eggs .The jar should have methylene blue added to the water enough to make it quite dark blue .
    After a few days the eggs will start wriggling and eventually fall off the leaf. They do not need to be fed until they are free swimming and have consumed their egg sac.
    First food should be newly hatched brine shrimp .You can tell if they are feeding as their little belly's become engorged and pink .As they become bigger give them room to grow on in a larger tank.
    Good luck ................

• raul_in_mexico
    18 years ago

Remove the eggs and place them by their own in another tank to incubate, they don´t need their parents.

• fgilles02420
    18 years ago

Funny related story. I have a community tank with zebra danios etal, never saw any eggs or fry from the egglayers. Then I started conserving water by siphoning my weekly water changes out the window into a huge tub to use in the garden.

So I'm out there one day gardening and noticed that I'd apparently actually siphoned one of my adult platies into this tub and he/she'd been swimming around in there for a week or more. I returned him to the tank - then started wondering what else could be in there. I started going through the tank scoop by scoop and behold! Danio fry. (And a baby platy) I guess they were eating natural "infusoria" growing in the water outside. Not all the ones I found made it, but I do have three growing up in one of those little breeder nets inside the main tank. I guess all the eggs laid in the tank get eaten, but when siphoned out away from adults they made it.

• hotdiggetydam
    18 years ago

Fish also eat their own eggs when the tank is to small. Natures way of survival.

• lee53011
    18 years ago

Panspipes,
    woodcarver is quite right in what he says. I also bred angelfish thousands of times, and it is really very easy. I was breeding commercially so it wasn't very asthetic, but I used 20 gallon high aquariums with sponge filters for the breeding pair. No gravel or substrate, just an upside down clay flowerpot on the bottom. About every 25 days or so they would lay eggs on the flowerpot, and I would take it out and put it into a ten gallon tank with a bubble wand. Once the fry hatched I would stuff them with brine shrimp for about a month or two and then transfer them to a 150 gallon container where they were kept until sold. I was selling almost 2,000 a month (had more than one breeding pair) until I finally got tired of it.
    It seems intimidating when you first try to breed new fish, but it usually just takes a little practice.
    Oh, and I always fed my breeders on live food, with dry food maybe once or twice a week. Keeps them in top breeding form.

Lee

• christopher_eagle_hotmail_co_uk
    15 years ago

I dont have angels i have a parot and a convict chicklid whitch bread reguley! they bread a coulpel of days ago and with a smal plank of wood i cornered them off nothing can get in or out. Also other fish wont help espesley if there are not cominty fish. A lot of pepole coming and going wil scar them into eating there own fish.

Good luck u will need it LOL

• hosta_miser
    14 years ago

Daily water changes of at least 50% are essential for good fin development. I too have raised thousands of them, and that is the main thing. When you see angels in stores or at auctions that have the flat top fins, it is because they didn't get enough water changes. Sometimes you see them with stubs. YIKES!

Joel

• bragu_DSM 5
    14 years ago

put a piece of slate in the tank. Eventually they will lay eggs on that.

Have a second aquarium already set up. Use water from the big tank if you have to. A ten gallon is fine.

When they lay eggs, watch it closely. There will probably be a period of a few hours when they are actually taking care of the eggs.

Remove the slate and place it in the other tank. position an air stone so that the bubbles come up near the eggs to keep the water moving. Carefully pick off the dead eggs each day. There will be many. If the fungus from the dead eggs spreads too far, it'll wipe out the whole slate. You will be rewarded eventually.

If this seems to be working and the probability arises that you will have baby angels, you will already need to have started some brine shrimp eggs in yet another aquarium ... a salty one. I use a big 'ol glass or plastic pickle jar with an airstone and salt water.

Then you need to strain the hatched shrimp into a cheesecloth net. Rinse them real good. Put them in a glass with regular water and eyedropper them into the babies.

With any luck you'll end up with 20-40 baby angels you'll need a home for.

I've bred angels many times, before my town changed the additives to the water. Now i have to use rainwater for my aquaria.

dkB

_`

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County