Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnipmouse

Seaclear Acrylic tanks - substrates and frogs

catnipmouse
17 years ago

I got a 36 gallon bowfront acrylic tank for my BD, but have not set it up yet. I bought 50# of silica sand for a substrate but have heard warnings how if one grain of sand is on your algae brush or scraper, it will really scratch up the tank. I still want to try sand. Anyone else use it for a freshwater tank?

I had not seen a Seaclear in person prior to on-line purchase, and did not know how restrictive the pre-drilled holes would be for putting in ornaments of my choice. That sort of sucks. Also there is no "flap" or window to feed the fish through, I will have to lift the entire lighting fixture up to feed them or drop food in the back where the filters are (there are two holes cut for filters, and I will likely only run one filter and have to cover the other hole.

Inhabitants will include: 2 corydoras, 6 pygmy cories, 1 hillstream loach, 3 platies. They are moving from a 20 gallon tank. The two african dwarf frogs will have to move in the 5 gallon hex with the betta since I think the 21" high Seaclear is going to be too tall for them to reach the surface for air.

Anyone keep African Dwarf frogs in a tall tank? And is sand unsafe for frogs due to the way they eat?

Comment (1)