Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Algae on plexiglass

Posted by bubba62 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 3:49

Any suggestions for removing algae from plexiglass without scratching the surface? I gave my Dad a small plexiglass tank and can't manage to keep the front glass clear. All of the conventional methods of algae removal have resulted in scratches. Even with a Chinese algae eater working full time and the tank located away from natural light, there's a persistent build up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Algae on plexiglass

Go to a pet store and buy an algae pad that says it is made for plastic aquariums. Petsmart carries them if there are no local independent petshops. I have used them for years with no scratches. They are softer than the pads used on regular glass tanks or dishes.

o

i use a regular soft sponge. You have to rub hard but the alge comes off without scratches.

o

My dad taught me to use a razor blade and just scrape it off. Works well for glass and plastic.

o

Also, bio bugs (bacterial cultures) will help to balance the water chemistry and algae will be less.

(staff at this site - PHD - explained this to me in detail!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bio Future

o

a pleco will do the job effectively. I have a kind which remains the size of up to 7 inches. Chinese algae eaters are effective in cleaning algae off leaves and rockery, but not the glass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here