Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acs326

I'm about to become a betta fish caretaker....

acs326
16 years ago

Let me start out by saying - I have never cared for a fish before.

But now I have decided to start with a betta fish. He/she will be living in my home office and probably will get a lot of company from my cat Sophie (and me of course, but Sophie is home more than I am...). There appear to be very few useful books available on betta care so I've been using online resources a lot - suggestions for helpful links would be appreciated....

I have no fish yet, but I have purchased a mini-bow 2.5 gal aquarium, that I hope will be Sophie proof. Some gravel and cleaning supplies (dechlorinater, algae scrub pad, siphon, fish net). I hope 2.5 gal is enough for 1 betta fish. I haven't set it up yet, and I can return it for a 5 gal - but I hope 2.5 is good.

My questions:

1) Is 2.5 gallons enough for a single betta?

2) Do I need to cycle the aquarium before adding the betta? I intend to have the aquarium set up and running for at least 7-10 days before I add the betta because I want to monitor the ph, water temp, etc. for awhile.

3) I keep my thermostat in the 60s n the winter. I realize that is too low for a betta, although he will be in the warmest room in the house. Is there a good heater for a 2.5 gal aquarium in case the light doesn't provide enough heat?

4) I have 'shopped' for betta fish at a couple of petstores (both chains), a chain aquarium store and I'm about to go to a local aquarium store that gets good reviews. I am researching how to recognize a healthy betta.....but just in case my emotion overcomes me or he turns out not to be all that healthy....does it make sense to provide him with some kind of general preventative medical care as soon as he gets to his new home, just in case? What kind of care would be good?

5) Which seems like a better idea - a silk plant or a live plant (or two - how much can a small aquarium handle?)?

Okay that's enough questions for now, I'm sure more will follow...any help I can get is much appreciated. Bettas seem to have a pretty short life span as it is, I don't want to shorten it even more out of ignorance on my part....

Thanks!

Anita

Comments (4)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

My questions:

1) Is 2.5 gallons enough for a single betta? Yes, but the bigger the better.

2) Do I need to cycle the aquarium before adding the betta? I intend to have the aquarium set up and running for at least 7-10 days before I add the betta because I want to monitor the ph, water temp, etc. for awhile.

Absolutely yes... and I would strongly suggest that you monitor the Ammonia / Nitrites / Nitrates with a kit that your local fish shop sells. And I would start with a feeder guppy to help cycle the tank.

3) I keep my thermostat in the 60s n the winter. I realize that is too low for a betta, although he will be in the warmest room in the house. Is there a good heater for a 2.5 gal aquarium in case the light doesn't provide enough heat?

There are plenty sold that are more than adequate for the gallonage. Ask your LFS what he or she recommends. 80 F is a good temp.

4) I have 'shopped' for betta fish at a couple of petstores (both chains), a chain aquarium store and I'm about to go to a local aquarium store that gets good reviews. I am researching how to recognize a healthy betta.....but just in case my emotion overcomes me or he turns out not to be all that healthy....does it make sense to provide him with some kind of general preventative medical care as soon as he gets to his new home, just in case? What kind of care would be good?

Pick one that seems active, with no bacterial or parasitic issues... mabe one that has produced a bubblenest and has pugilistic intentions with the Betta in the bowls nest to his. The best care is one that matches temperature and pH of both the Betta bowl in the store and the tank you have.

5) Which seems like a better idea - a silk plant or a live plant (or two - how much can a small aquarium handle?)?

I like living aquatic plants, like Water Sprite. I used to breed them in that material.

Okay that's enough questions for now, I'm sure more will follow...any help I can get is much appreciated. Bettas seem to have a pretty short life span as it is, I don't want to shorten it even more out of ignorance on my part....

Thanks!
    Anita
    Keep us posted

• acs326
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your response petiolaris.

I now have an Eclipse 6 - is that like a 'betta mansion' for just one fish?:)

I'm in search of heaters, etc. I will cycle the tank so I guess it will be some time before I have a fish. Thanks for the plant suggestion too, seems the Water Sprite will work in a small aquarium. I will get the plants from my LFS, hopefully the same one I'll get the fish from....now I just have to decide which LFS I trust.

I'll keep you posted :)

Anita

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

The 6 is fine! Get a Visitherm stealth heater. Set it to 80.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Anita,

Generally speaking, the best LFS's are the "mom & pop" places, where the owner has been in business for years. It's his or her hobby. The worst are chainstore / mall places that are really petshops, specializing in birds, cats, dogs, etc..., with tropical fish as a courtesy.

Tom,

How are things on the other side of the State?

Jimscott

Sponsored