Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Mollie- is he ill?

Posted by shirley_001 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 07 at 11:55

ive had two female Black Mollies and 1 Male black Mollie for approx 3 weeks. over the past week the male has started to act strangely. he will sit at the bottom of the tank in the corner and then only move when there is food. to stop bullying i have put him in a reasonably large breeding net in the top of the tank but he still sits at the bottom of it.
do you know what is wrong with it? any help would be good.

also- one of the females had two babies tonight. i was just wondering how many babies a mollie will have at a time.

Thanks- shirl_001

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Mollie- is he ill?

Hard to say what is wrong, but lower temps often lead to fish hanging at the bottom, fin clamped, and susceptible to ich. At least he's eating. I would rais the temp to about 80 F and provide hiding places (plants, shale, etc..)

o

IF i do raise the temperature will it affect the other fish i have in there such as a pleco, humbugs, guppies, tetras and clown loaches?

o

I'm not familiar with a humbug (it must have another name), but all the rest are tropicals and 80 isn't too warm for them. I would also make sure there is adequate aeration / filtration, as that also increases their metabolism.

o

they arent humbug fish- but we call them humbug catfish- their real name is Striped Raphael (Talking) Catfish ...
there is a constant air pump running and it only seems to be the 1 fish thats affected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here