Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

High ammonia levels for how long with daily water changes

jcjcjcx
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I didn't realize that there is a aquarium forum on this website, as I'm always visiting the pond forum. Great to know, especially now that I just bought an aquarium for the first time.

Its a 10 gallon (starter kit, that included filter, water treatment chemicals, etc). The purpose of buying this aquarium is to bring in and treat one of my pond goldfish (approx 5" long female) for the winter. She had fungus by her right gill. I used Pimafix daily for 1 1/2 weeks and the fungus is gone, and the area still healing.

I've been dealing with high ammonia levels .. not something I'm used to as it was easier with the pond. I've been doing 25% water changes each day the past week (one day I did a 50% change). The ammonia level still won't go down to safe. One test keeps showing NH3/NH4 = .5 ppm. I also bought the Mardel Live NH3 meter that keeps showing 0.05 (Stress). I've barely fed this fish in the last week since doing the water changes, no feeding at all some days. I've added the bacteria (Hagan Cycle, and Waste Control) once a week as directed. I have 2 live plants that I put in.

During the first week, I admit I probably did feed too much, as I was trying to help her gain strength and recover by eating well. As soon as I saw that the ammonia started to go up, I started the water changes and stopped the feeding almost completely. By doing 25% water changes daily, shouldn't the ammonia levels start dropping...??

How long will it take? And by doing this everyday, aren't I slowly getting rid of the bacteria (faster than they can start seeding the tank)?

Comments (2)

Sponsored