Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compost_hugger_nancy

new home...tank too big

I am trying to find a place for my tank! Two years and haven't even got all the dry wall up or a place for everything else I have!

Right now I wish I didn't get rid of my smaller ones. One of twenty nine gallon tanks got broke and the other is still sitting on the back deck! I had left it to see if it leaked and then after two surgeries I didn't get it moved before snow & ice conditions. I'm hoping it is still ok. I won't be home until late Jan or early Feb.

Once I get linoleum/carpet down I will have to put up at least one tank someplace!! I have never been without "fish tank" fertilizer for my house plants or my outside roses. Got to get some brewing so I can use the water later.

Comments (3)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

As long as it didn't fill with water, turn to ice and break the glass it should be OK. The silicone sealant may have suffered though. Bring it in when you can and let it come to room temperature. Fill it and check for leaks. If the seals are shot it can be re-sealed. A Local Fish Store (LFS) might do it, or if you can do a little DIY stuff it is fairly simple. If you need "how-to" advise, re-post when you are ready and I can give you a few links. Have a speedy recovery.

• compost_hugger_nancy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

woeisme: Yes go ahead and send me the invite.

The tank did get left outside to see if it would hold water, and yes it did freeze! It was not full and the ice shrunk away from the side of the tank. since I'm not supposed to lift even ten pounds and my floors are still plywood I didn't want water all over.

I'm thinking I want to downsize to a smaller tank I can handle. Maybe the old one can be used in the yard as a deep end of a pond?

• woeisme
    18 years ago

In you area of the world the glass tank wouldn't last long outside. When the ice expands durring the winter it will crack the glass or minimally push the silicone seal away rom the glass and leak. If you think you may use it in the next year then store it in a shed or better yet basement/attic. If you are going with smaller aquariums remember you are limited to certain fish and decor. IME small tanks (20H and below)are harder to maintain then larger ones. Larger ones (20L - 75) have a little more room to vacuum the gravel and the extra water volume gives more of a chance to dilute excess organics and nutrients that do become toxic at too high levels. One suggestion for maintainance is a python or lee's gravel vacuum/refill set. It has a "pump" that attaches to the kitchen faucet and createsbgood suction for gravel vacuuming. At the same time it removes water for partial water changes (PWC's). You then can reverse the flow from the faucet to refill what you removed. This beats the heavy buckets from days of yore.My advise is wait until the room that will house the aquarium is finished. This will allow you to research everything from fish to equiptment and more important water chemistry. In the mean time One suggestion would be to set up an aquarium with everything except the live plants. Do a "fishless" cycle. The benefits are you can see how the nitrogen cycle works (this is like a high school chemistry project) and your aquarium will be ready to recieve fish. Also, if you set up multiple aquariums you have the beneficial bacteria to "seed" the new aquariums.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company