Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)

mushibu10
9 years ago

So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance for them is too much for the amount I work.
So I decided on freshwater;

So I'd love a massive one (unsure on capacity) but say a 50inch one but I dint know if I can afford or fit.

So what size for a first time? (ive had the same goldfish for past 5 years only in a 12littre tank needs a bigger one)
I'd love it to have one with moss and plants and an impressive range of plants.

Not necessarily fish. But I want my goldfish still.
Is it safe for me to move it from unheated to heated water?

Any recommendations of the plants to use/grow any filters such as UV based and so on.
Be aware I am in the UK so brand names would be a little useless but the specs would help.

Any sites or books that have helped.

My local aquatic store is very small and very very expensive basic comet is �3.50 (at a chain store they're �1.25)

Any help would be great :)

Comments (5)

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    generally speaking it's difficult to keep GF with plants .main reason is that GF will either eat them or dig them up lol. For the planted tank some of the best choices are tropicals such as tetras,Barbs ,angels or really exotic, Discus. as to the size , can't be too big but with these tropical a smaller tank is more than enough
    Huge choice as to the types of plants but most require warmer water so tropical fish are again better choices.
    You can go from a few, to fully landscaped choice is up to you good lucjk with them gary.

• terrestrial_man
    9 years ago

If you want to keep your goldfish then forget about a warm tank as it is unnecessary. Goldfish come in a variety of shapes and colors nowadays that you can find a few mates to go with your Goldfish.
    You should get the largest tank you can afford. What you would need is a filter and airstone combo and a hood with lights.
    You can plant a goldfish tank but your best bet is using something that is probably called Anacharis or Elodea that is sold in bunches and is weighted down with metal strips. Just leave the plants bunched up. The fish will eat on the plants but if you feed properly then the plants should last a while. Besides this type of plant is fairly common and not as expensive as other types that could not handle the abuse that bottom feeders like goldfish would provide.
    I would not recommend using any other fish in the tank with the goldfish. You will probably find yourself with a small population of snails that will come in with the plants.
    The only other fish that would do well in a cold water tank that might be available in the UK is something called a Dojo or Weatherfish. These are from China and can bury themselves in the gravel of an aquarium.
    Be sure to find a pet shop or aquarium shop and talk to the personnel there with your needs. I am sure that they can set you up with the ideal tank. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: One UK store

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I was buying a new plant every 6months the fish kept eating them

Thank you, I put a pond in me mum's and those fish have finally stopped eating the plants, they're starting to flourish even in the cold.

So with the gold fish with out heater I'm advised to use pond plants?
    And if I want tropical then no bottom feeders.

I didn't think about a air stone thank you,

So UV or activated Charcoal? For filter or just stick with synthetic 'sponge'

• terrestrial_man
    9 years ago

Indeed, use cold water plants with the goldfish.
    If you want tropical plants then I would set up a tank with just the tropical plants and tropical fish like rasboras or neon tetras as they are not hard on plants. But with tropical plants you will need to keep an eye out on the pH. Tropical plants like slightly acidic water as well as some commercially available fish. Here is a link on the topic of acidic water aquaria to the best discussion I have found yet. The Soft Water Aquarium

For goldfish in a cold water tank I would get a couple of the foam type filters and change them once a week. Foam filters are great because you can just wash them and wash out all the debris they have collected and can be reused easily.
    For a tropical tank read the article in the link above.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I've had good luck with my two current goldfish (unheated) and Vallisneria americana (AKA "jungle vals"). Some goldfish will dig them of course, but they can form a pretty dense mat if they get a chance.

I'd recommend a big tank, a really big canister filter, and some good plant lights.

But if you want to get serious about planted tanks, put goldie in a new big tank and use the little one for tropicals and plants. And visit the Planted Tank Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Loudoun County