Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish HORROR stories?

Posted by EDHall z5 nwlowerMI (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 11, 03 at 17:59

I had a beautiful 29 gal tank with a custom made hood on it. The hood was solid all the way around with just a small opening for the filter in the back and a 4 x 6" opening on top with a hinged lid to drop food into. Well we went to a movie one day a got a sitter to watch the twin boys (4 years old). Well the both of them got up on the dresser in their room where the tank was fliped the lid back and started droping Little Golden books through the hole. Did you know that you can get 56 Little Golden books into a 29 gal tank before you get board and go to sleep and not to have the sitter see you! Oh we never used her again.
I did take a picture of it I think I try and find it and post it. Has something like this ever happend to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish HORROR stories?

I am sorry but..(LOL!!) Fifty six books?

I have had a horror story and a half.

1. I had a 50 gallon freshwater tank in my bedroom for at least 8 years, fully planted, filter, heater, fishies, stones the whole thing.

I awoke at 4:00 AM to the faint sound of drip...drip...drip
To my horror, 3/4 of the tank water was already on the floor and soaked through to the basement. The heater cracked but I didn't notice it until after I was pulling out plants to find the fish.

No. I did not get zapped by the electricity but I did unplug it when I saw it was damaged. NOTE: UNPLUG BEFORE INSERTING HANDS!! I got the fish out and had to put them in the bathtub that had most of the remaining water within by this time. Try explaining that to your Mom and Dad on a Sunday morning. :-)

The tank had developed a crack in the front right corner on the bottom. ****sigh***** It wasn't a complete disaster though. I got a 55 gal. tank as a replacement and no fish were lost.

2. My 1/2 horror story was purchasing fresh water stone fish at a department store. They looked so unique! I asked if they were poisinous as their salty cousins. I was told , "No".

I got home, and not feeling well asked my brother to put the stone fish in an aquarium. In those days I had several aquaria, set up with everything but the next kind of fish.
My brother put them in a 30 gal. community tank. Needless to say the new arrivals were delighted with the menu.

I had the flu and did not look in the fish room for several days. When I did, I noticed there were far less fish there than I had remembered. I also found out the stone fish were poisinous. I contacted the store where they were purchased. They would not take the fish back because "they do not deal with poisinous fish." They sold them to me. They do deal with poisinous fish!

Oh, well. The new guys were re-located to a 50 gal. tank and lived for almost 6 years. Many times they serenaded the house with very loud almost frog-like croaking sounds.

Again, not a total disaster but a learning experience.

o
RE: Fish HORROR ....stories?

I am sorry but..(LOL!!) Fifty six books?

I have had a horror story and a half.

1. I had a 50 gallon freshwater tank in my bedroom for at least 8 years, fully planted, filter, heater, fishies, stones the whole thing.

I awoke at 4:00 AM to the faint sound of drip...drip...drip
To my horror, 3/4 of the tank water was already on the floor and soaked through to the basement. The heater cracked but I didn't notice it until after I was pulling out plants to find the fish.

No. I did not get zapped by the electricity but I did unplug it when I saw it was damaged. NOTE: UNPLUG BEFORE INSERTING HANDS!! I got the fish out and had to put them in the bathtub that had most of the remaining water within by this time. Try explaining that to your Mom and Dad on a Sunday morning. :-)

The tank had developed a crack in the front right corner on the bottom. ****sigh***** It wasn't a complete disaster though. I got a 55 gal. tank as a replacement and no fish were lost.

2. My 1/2 horror story was purchasing fresh water stone fish at a department store. They looked so unique! I asked if they were poisinous as their salty cousins. I was told , "No".

I got home, and not feeling well asked my brother to put the stone fish in an aquarium. In those days I had several aquaria, set up with everything but the next kind of fish.
My brother put them in a 30 gal. community tank. Needless to say the new arrivals were delighted with the menu.

I had the flu and did not look in the fish room for several days. When I did, I noticed there were far less fish there than I had remembered. I also found out the stone fish were poisinous. I contacted the store where they were purchased. They would not take the fish back because "they do not deal with poisinous fish." They sold them to me. They do deal with poisinous fish!

Oh, well. The new guys were re-located to a 50 gal. tank and lived for almost 6 years. Many times they serenaded the house with very loud almost frog-like croaking sounds.

Again, not a total disaster but a learning experience.

o
RE: Fish HORROR .....stories?

Don't know why that printed twice.sorry.

o

• Posted by EDHall z5 nwlowerMI (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 12, 03 at 23:25

I found that picture and posted it in the gallery. It'a a sorry sight.
Eric

o

Oh my, your poor fishys. I saw the picture...yikes! I started my first aquarium when my son was 2 and the only problem I ever had was finding a stray toy here and there floating around on top. I moved my 10 gal to his room when he was 5 and he is now 8 and so far, no problems besides torturing them by tapping on the glass. I have a 16 month old, now she is going to be another story. I can already tell that she will be a handful when she is tall enough to reach the 30 gal tank which sits at the end of the sofa. I have always had the fear of the tank cracking a gushing out all the water in about 2 seconds right onto the hardwood floors.

o

We had a tank spring a link too - sure glad someone was home that day! I came around the corner down the hall and noticed the cats both sitting a ways away, studying the tank intently - which seemed strange since the novelty of watching the fish for them had long since worn off. As I got closer, I realized they were fascinated by the stream of water flowing from the corner of the tank and forming a big pool on the floor! 40-gallons sure seems like a lot of water when it's pouring onto the floor! So, the cats and I bailed it out into tubs and pails and what not, and in the end, no lives were lost, LOL!

o

Hi
Many years ago my daughter took it upon herself to clean
my 55 gallon aquarium.She used dishwashing detergent and the toilet brush.!! Needless to say I had to restock that tank lol The sad part was that it contained two full grown pair of Discus.
I still kid her that it was the only time she ever "helped "with housework.lol
Gary

o

Well, I had 13 or 14 discus (some were the first of the pigeon bloods, and just spectacular looking), and the newest one was carrying a pathogen but hadn't gotten ill yet. Within a couple of days I had over a dozen desperately sick fish in four tanks, so I was changing water and medicating twice daily with metronidazole supplied by the pet shop via the breeder that sold him the fish that brought in the problem. I've never seen anything so contagious- the only possible way all four tanks could have caught it was from my inoculating the tanks with my fingers when I went from tank to tank feeding them live brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms- me as Typhoid Mary. When it was all over, I was down to three discus, including the one that had brought the disease in the first place. I had tons of other fish, and two of the tanks were community tanks (the other two were- HAH- incoming isolation tanks). Nobody got sick but the discus. It was horrible- wholesale slaughter by an unknown pathogen.
The other was my largest tank catching an unknown disease a year ago that wiped out all but four fish- two glass cats, a kuhlii loach, and a glowlight tetra. It wiped out my whole herd of about 3 dozen big fat cardinal tetras that were my pride and joy. Interestingly, the survivors weren't the only ones of their kind in the tank, just the only ones that survived.

o

As a kid, one of my cousins turned up the heater on the tank when his mom and dad weren't looking. I think he was two. I've always felt really bad for those fish.

o

Fri, Jan 16, 04 at 10:04

I know that feeling of the heater to high it happened to once also but I did not loose all the fish we cought it in time. Bad things happen to those little fish when we least expect it. I had a mixed tank fish, I did a water change one time and all the Africans died but the south americans survied.
I bought a nice looking African Knife fish for my community tank (Newbie). When I got up the next morning he was laying on the bottom all blotted and fat. then I noticed that most of the other fish were GONE. The new fish didn't look at the others as tank mates but looked at them as a buffet. Live and learn.

o

• Posted by Alicia 6B ONTARIO (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 16, 04 at 10:16

Not as bad as the others but several years ago I came home to find that my auto-feeder had gone nuts and my 65g was solid green. I could not see anything and it contained my 11 year old 12" Texas Cichlid. She survived but had to live in a HUGE bucket with a heater, & bubbler for a few day. It was quite the clean up. Thankfully I was on well water at the time so I had relatively good emergency water.

o
Cannahavana-

My youngest bro-in-law tapped on the glass of a 30-gallon with the back of a hairbrush while sitting on a chair in front of the tank when he was 3 or 4 years old (he's nearly 40 now). My husband said that when the front glass broke, water and fish shot straight out in a column and knocked Jon and the chair over backwards- fortunately he didn't get cut by the glass, although he did nearly get murdered by his mother.

o
RE: Fish HORROR stories!

When I was in 7th grade or so, my family and I went to Florida on vacation. My Grandmother and Grandfather graciously volunteered to take care of our pets.

Some how, My Grandmother accidently "adjusted" the heater of my 20 gal. freshwater community tank upwards. Snails, fish even plants were cooked. Surprisingly my pleco survived.

My Grandmother picked him up out of the tank with her bare hands and put him in a pot that is normally used for cooking soup or such.

It was an accident and though I was saddened that the fish died I felt worse for my Grandmother. She felt awful about the whole incident. She did her best and that's all anyone could hope for.

o

When I was about 10 years old, I had a 10 gallon goldfish aquarium in the basement. My cousins came over to visit, and all the parents had gone shopping. My sister was at the top of the basement stairs and was mad at my cousin for some reason (that I no longer remember). Trying to get attention, sis threw a pair of running shoes down the basement stairs and across the room. The aquarium was close by and one shoe hit the side glass. Water came flowing out. The good thing was that all fish survived and the fact that my cousins were visiting meant there were extra hands to help clean up the mess. The parents were not impressed however. With us kids, it seemed like we were fairly good kids, but we'd get carried away with fighting, playing, whatever when we got together.

o

I had a pair of freshwater stingrays (potamotrygon reticulata) that were doing beautifully. They were growing quickly and approaching the 7" diameter size. (which is about the size they begin to reach sexual maturity.) Their favorite food was live blackworms and would go through a pound of them in 2 weeks easily. Well, I apparently got a bad batch of blackworms because the fish got a chilondella infection and died within 3 days. Chilondella is a protistan parasite that can kill very quickly and there are often no symptoms. Not only did I lose the greatest pair of fish I've ever had, but a large investment as well. They cost $120 each.

o

I've got 3.
When I was young, my little brother had a tank of goldfish in his room. He had them for some time and they were quite large. A neighbor boy thought he would be helpful and feed the fish. He went outside and caught lightning bugs and put them in the tank. Apparantly, lightning bugs are poison and the fish started going crazy, hitting against the edge of the tank until they all died. My brother was heartbroken (he was about 9)

In High School, I had a tank of mixed fish in my room on my dresser and once when I was catching fish to clean the tank, my coolie loach slipped out of the net and fell out a second story window into my mothers rock garden. Believe it or not, I went outside, found it in the dirt, and brought it back in the house and it was fine.

I brought my goldfish in from the pond this fall and put them in a tank. Somehow, part of the arm that pulls the water from the tank into the filter came loose and it sucked a fish right up into the tube. All I could see was the tail sticking out. It was a goner!

o

Did the kids get into any trouble? I sure would have even when I was four. Sure the babysitter should have prevented it but at four you are old enough to know to keep hands away from daddy's fish tank. By trouble I don't mean beaten. Yes the baby sitter certainly appears to be very negligent. I would have worried about the children's safety. They could have been electrocuted had they tossed something besides books into the tank. I doubt any four year old understands about electricity and water. I sure didn't. In fact I might have thought it was cool to toss something in there to see if it would still work. Thank goodness you just lost some fish and not some kids.

o

I had a beautiful 55 gal. full of assorted African Cichlids (picture perfect).My wife noticed earlier that day some fish swimming sideways but failed to call me.When I got home the tank was like bath water.I had 20 or so dead adult cichlids, because the heater malfunctioned.That was the best collection of fish I ever had.Never replaced them.

o

Tue, Feb 10, 04 at 12:47

you asked "Did the kids get into any trouble?" Well the boys are 16 years old now, but they did not have a fish tank in their room untill last year I think that I took all of their toys and books (what was left) in their room away also. So when they went to bed that is all they could do in their bedroom go to bed.
Life goes on, I could not have asked for better kids right now.

o

Thank goodness everything ended well. Glad to hear you are blessed with wonderful children. It's hard to know what I got into when I was four. Didn't mean to be critical. They grow up too quickly.

o

Travesty, I went thru that this past December. The weekend before Christmas we found that our heater had malfunctioned in the koi pond. The temperature was at over 100 when we found them, had been fine the morning before. The result was 23 dead koi ranging from 14" to 30" and up to 6 years of age.

o

I have a 20 gallon tall tank I just bought 2 jellybean parrotfish they seem to be picking and killing my platties and angels

o

i went away on vacation for 4 months and my sis in law was supposed to care for my fish, well somehow the hose from my air pump came undone which syphoned all the water out through the airstone and leaked all over the floor. a fire inspector came by (they do that here in ny) and they were in the basement and water started dripping on his head, well the tank was in my bedroom and the water for my bathroom and kitchen is on the other side of the apartment, so her and the inspector ran upstairs to my bedroom to find my 7 inch long jack dempsey sideways in about 1 1/2 inches of water. luckily she had a tank upstairs with tetras in it (unlucky for them.....lunch) but he recovered. :) jennie

o

It's nice to know I am not alone in the Heater malfunction tragedy area. I was moving from one City to another about 3 hr's away. The only help I really had was my then 3yr old son...so not much help ;-) I had moved most of my tanks to the new location and set them up, leaving the largest tank at the old location with the majority of the fish temporarily in it. I returned a few days later to find the fish in terrible trouble, the heater hadn't taken the temp up so high as to bake them all, but it had killed most of them.
I had several varieties of very lovely Rainbows, some discus and assorted other fish. I was heart broken.
I seem to have the worst luck with moving..when moving to my new house I had the opposite problem, extreme cold, lost more of the rainbows. I swear If I have to move again I will just find the fish a new home first.
I do have to mention that I have one rainbow that I raised from fry I bred off of a georgous pair of M. parkinsoni, and she is the only survivor of all the moves

o

I can see it now: EDHall is on Jeopardy and the following answer comes up: How many LG books can you get into a 29g fish tank before boredom sets in?
EDHall hits buzzer and says:'what is 56?'

o

Thu, Apr 15, 04 at 13:06

I showed my boys this post and they could not belive that I did that to them. "their making fun of us"! Oh well.

I started this thread to let newbies know that bad things happen to good fish keepers so don't give up.

o

My cat, Casper, washed his feet in my aquarium after using the litter box. He then caught my 8 inch prized Shubunkin and killed it.

Dasheen

o

my friend got a fish tank a few months ago (he calls it the money pit) when it was still relativly new fish mom went into his room to do something while he was at school. she noticed that the light was off so she turned the heater all the way up but the light still wouldn't come on. he lost some pretty nice fish and all of his crabs

o

Hi, my college roommate who had never kept fish before decided to start with a goldfish bowl. Large bowl, but she decided to go to the bait store for the goldfish, and bought several for about a dollar. She already had her bowl proudly full by the time I got home and tried to explain she had too many fish for the size. About two days later, I told her she needed to clean the bowl, and left for class. Instead of waiting for me to return, she put some water in the bathtub and added the fish from the bowl, and went off to clean it up.

I arrived home from class about an hour later, and found her in tears with one fish in the bowl. I had to explain to her about soap and fish not mixing very well.

Laura

o

I have two. The first was a whole batch of newborn guppies and mollies became boiled fish when my heater went haywire. Seems to be a sadly common occurence. My boyfriend found the mess and cleaned up before I came home (thankfully).

The other is worse. One morning I got up and strolled into the living room barefoot. I felt a *squish* under my foot and jumped backwards. There was my 4 inch red-tailed shark, half dried out, half gutted by my weight. It must have jumped out of the slimmest of spots in the back of the tank and flipped across the floor overnight. What a terrible way to discover your pet!

o

This is a great thread! I hope it prevents some horror stories.

I had a 100 gallon tank of beautiful mature African cichlids. I went on vacation for a month and left them in the care of my friend. At some point the suction got broken on the wet/dry filter spillway- leaving the fish without any filtration. My friend didn't know how to get it started, and just left them in the stagnant water. What a mess when I got home.

o

My stepson and his friend climbed up and dropped cough drops into the tank which had a large fire eel and several other expensive fish in it and they died a few days later.

o

I could have easily prevented it but for some reason I completly forgot. I cleaned the tube that sucks water up into the filter and didn't replace the small (but very important) piece that keeps the fish from being sucked up. The next morning I had several dead fish (cory, white cloud, etc.).

o

This one has a happy ending. I have a breeding pair of Jack Dempseys and a few cory cats in a large tank. Everything was fine until one day the male dempsey decided to snack on a cat. He tried to swallow it head first but couldn't get it past the pec fins and he couldn't spit it out because of the numerous spines on the cat. So, he swam around like that for three days with me hoping it would work out. He would swim up to the glass whenever I was in the room and stay there as if he was begging for help. I finally netted him and my wife and I worked the catfish out of his mouth with a tweezers. We succeeded and the catfish swam away much to our surprise. The dempsey wasn't able to close his mouth for several hours but eventually made a full recovery. He has never tried to swallow a cory since then.

o

I came across this post while searching for a vacation watering system and had to share. This isn't my only fish horror story, but probably the worst...

I went away for the weekend during the winter about 10 years ago. While I was gone, the French windows in my living room blew open during sub-zero weather. My furnace tried to heat both indoors and out until the propane ran out. I came home to find my 29 gal. aquarium with my beautiful huge green severum cichlid frozen solid. Of course all the pipes in the house and well pump, etc. were frozen solid too. And no, the fish did not come back to life once I thawed the tank out. ;-)

o

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of Heater Horrors! I had a friend as a kid that had the same thing happen - he lost ALL of his guppies & swords! I had a heater go on the fritz, but caught it in time when I noticed all the panicky zooming around in my tank... whew! I've actually sworn off heaters whenever possible (depending on the type of fish), and I'm very leery of them.

But, alas, alack, the opposite can happen, too. In a small, hot Boston apartment, I had a nice little community tank, just 10 gallons. The temperature outside hit a whopping upper-90's for 8 days in a row. My apartment, on the top floor, reached 98 each of those days, and only cooled to a balmy 88 overnight. Being such a small quanitity of water, the aquarium temp went into the upper 80's. I kept jugs of aquarium water (so as not to make too much of a chemistry change) in the fridge, and it was a week-long struggle, changing 4 gallon-jugs of water 3X each day; morning before I left, as soon as I came home, and again before I went to sleep. Towards the end of the heat spell, I came home to find my little ghost shrimp all dead..... and when I pulled them out, they were pale PINK - yep, like Cooked Shrimp! I felt terrible! The community fish survived the ordeal, but I can still picture those poor pink shrimp!

Whew!

o

I am another victim of a heater that went on the blink. I had a beautiful community tank with about 30 fish that were all about 2 years old. I came home from work one night and found all of my fish but one dead. The water was so hot it hurt my hand when I dipped out the one survivor. I am still amazed that he lived through that! I cried like a baby over my poor dead fish.

I had another incident with a goldfish that I kept in a fishbowl in my kitchen. He was eating one day when he sucked a piece of gravel off the bottom of the bowl. He got it lodged in his mouth and couldnt spit it out. I was afraid it would kill him, so my husband and I "operated" on him. We took a pair of tweezers and pushed them up through his gills to push the rock out of his mouth. He survived the operation and seemed to be fine. A few weeks later he did the exact same thing! After extracting the rock ( I was feeling like an expert at this point). I went out and bought larger gravel that was too big for him to get in his mouth.

o

Last year, my above-ground pool blew out its side after I had just super-chlorinated it. The water went everywhere, including my pond of koi, comets, shubunkins, and plecos. The chlorine turned the pond water black, making it impossible to see the fish unless they were right at the surface. My husband and I filled containers with our well water and threw in each fish as we found them. We found all but the two plecos and a goldfish.

It took a long time to drain the whole pond. At the bottom was a pleco and the missing goldfish. Incredibly, the pleco is still alive to this day! I knew they were hardy, but that was amazing. We lost a lot of fish but some did survive.

We did NOT replace the swimming pool.

o

i imagine that would have killed a fair amount of grass too

o

Advice on heaters: Instead of one high wattage heatter, keep two lower watt ones. That way, if one goes haywire, it takes longer to heat up the water.

o

We also had a heater cook our fish. My 3 year old was devastated. it was a 20 gallon community tank. We had a bumblebee cat, 2 swordtails, and an angelfish that would actually rest on your curled fingers to eat the food you held. The other angel would come up and "kiss" your finger when it was done eating. (And yes, hands were thoroughly cleaned and rinsed before doing this.) My daughter learned a lot about patience in order to be able to feed her "fishies" They were a gift/reward for her when she was in speech therapy. We came home one evening to find them all floating on the top, fully cooked. I punished my boys as I thought they had played with the heater. We cleaned the tank, moved it to her bedroom, restocked it, and almost lost the new fish. Thats when we realized the heater was bad. Took it out, got a new and better one and everythign was fine. Cept we were unable to succeed in training the new fish to handfeed. We also never saw another bumblebee cat.

o

I know some people may have not been home when their heaters malfunctioned, but did anyone have a thermometer in their aquariums as well to monitor their heaters? Just curious :)

o

• Posted by drg_ atlanta (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 27, 05 at 17:51

How's this one? I was walking along an Alabama beach on vacation after a powerful storm had blown through and I found a tiny octopus (Octopus Vulgaris) washed up on the beach. He was no bigger than the "Wacky Wallwalker" childrens toy (less than 1" arm span). I "rescued" him and put him in a childrens plastic sand pail with seawater. He made it through a 6+ hour trip back. I raised him in a 10G tank, then 30, then a 55. He was possibly the coolest pet one could have. He drew crowds to see him at feeding time. Anyhow, I had to move to a new apartment and had to partially drain his home. His temporary home during the move was a 5G bucket. Unfortunately, while moving his tank and other stuff, he climbed out onto the carpet and died. It was a sad day.

o

• Posted by Enid NWFl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 31, 05 at 7:32

I recently had a close call with the aquarium heater, so I thought I'd share. For some reason I woke up at 2am on a saturday, so I went to sit at the computer. After a few minutes I heard a crackling sound, a few later I heard it again, this time louder; my dogs went to look at the den, all of them just stood there and looked, so I went to investigate. Just then, another crakle, large spark, and the surge protector I have everything aquarium related caught fire! I literally jumped over the dogs and ran to it, unplugged the whole she-bang and proceded to inspect every single plug. The heater was the one and only culprit. Thankfully I woke up when I did and went sit at the computer, instead of staying in bed trying to fall asleep again. Got me another surge protector ( at a more decent hour saturday) and thankfully the power filters didnt sustain any damage. This is a 55 gal. that is the home of my 12inch+ pleco ( anybody else in there is incidental). Scary thing, the house could have caught fire ( wood floor in the den) because of this danged heater malfunction. I'm just about to swear off heaters at this point, havent replaced that one, and I dont think I will, I can use a space heater in there to keep ambient temperatures constant and that (so far) has kept the aquarium at a confortable level for "The Beast". Of course the guppies and swordtails love it and have been breeding prolifically with no particular effort on my part to keep the fry going. Just be wary of heaters, too many scary heater stories here.

o

Ok... so.... I'm terribly sad right now. This doesn't seem like a huge horror, but I feel so horrible about it. I had a betta. Today would make it a month and 1 day. He was looking sick for the past week or so and started breathing heavy today. I thought I'd change the water to make him a bit happier. I rinsed his stuff off in burning hot water to clean off any bad stuff and it hurt like heck for my hands. As a result, I couldn't feel the difference between warm and hot. I thought the water was just right... well it was too hot for my poor little guy. Needless to say, I'm now fishless. I feel terrible. First fish I ever got and not only did I fail at helping him, but I cooked him too! ;_; I should have paid better attention. I miss him. I loved him very much. Note to future betta or fish owners: PAY ATTENTION to the cleanliness of the water and to the temperature of it!!! It can make or break the fish. -_-

o

• Posted by Minaku z6 Pittsburgh (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 10:24

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a thermometer, especially in the smaller tanks where water temps can fluctuate up to ten degrees in a day.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Also, these fish stories are great! I'm very sorry for the fish deaths, but it's a learning experience - I thought I was the only one with a screwy heater!

o

• Posted by cjbrady forest grove OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 14, 05 at 14:42

1, When I was 18, a friend and I made a 55 gallon tank - it was awesome! We had a community of fish, including smaller, more peaceful cichilids like Kribensis etc. Evidently, we didn't use thick enough glass because one night, the front bowed the burst and 55 gallons came pouring out across the floor and down the carpeted stairs. We scrambled to catch the fish with our hands and place them in a small ten gallon tank. We also stayed up all night with blow driers to dry out the carpet so it wouldn't mildew.

We kept the fish in the smaller tank for about a month until we had time to repair the 55. When I went to clean it out (it has like 1/2" water on the bottom - I found a kuhli loach - very much alive and well in there! What a survivor.

2, I also had a ten gallon when our oldest son was about 3. The morning after Christmas I found my son's new stuffed "Ernie" toy floating face down among the fish. It grossed me out so I gave the fish away and put the tank away as well.

o

I've had lots of them, but my favorite is from about 30 years ago when I was just a youngster about 12 or 13 years old. I had a beautiful 29 gallon tank set up with some, at that time new to the hobby, African Cichlids. The tank was set up right next to my bedroom window and had a lot of rocks in it for them to hide, as I had seen pictures from the lakes showing all those rocks that the fish swam amongst. Well, one day I was playing ball with my brothers in the street, and noticed that there was water dripping from the corner overhang of the house over the garage (right below my bedroom!) It seems I learned the hard way that African Cichlids like to dig in the gravel. The rock structure collapsed and of course, broke the bottom of the tank. I acted like nothing was wrong, put the fish in some smaller tanks temporarily and fixed the crack with a sheet of plastic siliconed right over it. I don't think my parents ever found out :)

o

I won a goldfish at the county fair when I was about 7. I had a small bowl to keep it in. I used to put it by my bed on the window-sill every once in a while when I would go to sleep (usually after a scary movie, guess I thought it would ward off monsters). This was finr thru the summer then winter came. I woke up to find the goldfish frozen solid in the bowl which was a block of ice. It was a little upsetting back then but I am cracking up as I write this. I still get ribbed once in a while by a family member when they come over and see my tank.

o

I cracked my heater during a water change...

Turn off heater when changing water....No one got zapped anyhow.

Other horrors mostly have to do with not quarentining. 30 goldfish destroyed by finrot from a fair fish.

50 guppies, a betta, some danios, and a gourami died due to columnaris brought in on the guppies. I confused it for fungus and was reating with malachite green. Someone gave me a microscope and I looked at it and saw it was indeed columnaris.

1000$ worth of koi decimated by bacterial gill disease brought in on some koi that I didn't know weren't healthy. 300$ in meds and still had only 7 koi left.

Not a fish but my western painted turtle is a tripod now. I put him outside in a tank where he could bask but not get out and the dog got him while he was basking.

o

My son tried to feed the fish spaghetti one time, thankfully it was not cooked, just dried noodles.
Then he decided the next time they needed milk and sprinkled it in from his sippy cup. The water was clouded so bad the fish could not be seen to be netted. I drained the tank to be able to get them out. Thank goodness we were on well water. This wouldn't have been so bad if I had not took the tank day and sleaned it the day before!
He was not 2yrs old yet at the time. It was cute to see him tring to 'feed' the fish but I did explain to him they had their own food and not to feed them our stuff anymore, the result? He decided to feed a container of fish food, that was a mess! It is amazing how much food in actually in those containers.
After these 3 things happened and I explained fish basics to him, Then I had to expalin HOW much to feed them, he stopped tring to tend to them so much, after that he did fine. This tank was set-up in the family living-room. So everyone could enjoy it, so he needed to learn to look at the fish....lol.
He is 18 now and I can't even get him to look at my fish much less feed them!
Not so much a horror, just a little mess! Glad it wasn't a heater story....

o

Mine seems insignificant compared to the stories here, but it was sure devastating to me!

I had just gotten two fancy guppies to put in with my african dwarf frogs-after doing the research to make sure they would be docile enough not to attack the frogs, only to have one of the frogs bite the top lip off one of the guppies! The poor guppy couldn't eat and his tail started deteriorating. Thank goodness he was able to grow his lip back. He is now able to compete with the other guppy for the food and his tail is almost as full and beautiful as it once was.

o

horror stories .... OK well
I keep a 125 gallon SALTWATER reef aquarium. Shortly after moving into our new house my daughter called me in a panic.. "Mom that tall thing in the back of the tank it's puking water all over the floor!!" The power had gone off and when it came back on the protien skimmer blew 30-50gal of saltwater all over my carpet.. down the hall..into the bedrooms.... I did get airconditioning out of the deal though! It was the only way my carpet would dry out in the summer humidity!!

BTW.. I have NEVER had a heater in my tanks!! you don't need one if you have stable air temp in the room ..That and any lights create heat.. my problem is keeping it cool

Here is a link that might be useful: click on seaworld in my livingroom

o

When I was a little girl, one day I decided that the fish in my dad's 20 gallon tank needed a bath. I took the Ivory soap and proceeded to try and wash all the fish in the tank with a bar of soap. Some of them survived, not sure I did from my dad's wrath, he was so angry at me.

o

This isn't a horror story, this is just BIZARRE.

I bought a betta about a month ago and put him in a little 1 gallon tank. After a couple of weeks, I decided that I would enjoy him more in a bigger tank and went out and bought a 5 gallon with lid, gravel, a couple of rocks and an artificial plant. I know that fish jump, so I kept the water level down about 2 inches from the top, and kept the lid on the tank. There was a 1 inch gap at the back of the lid, though. I fed him as usual one morning, then an hour later I walked by...NO FISH. Just gone. I moved the rocks in the tank. No fish. I tore the room apart looking, thinking he jumped and must be on the floor somewhere. Still, no fish. I came to the conclusion that the dog ate him (the dog will eat anything). I was so sad! How could he have jumped out of that little space and jumped so high to get out? Damn that dog! A couple of days went by and I decided to get a new betta. I just put him in the same tank, no water change or anything. A week went by. This morning, I woke to find the new fish's fins in tatters. Then, I noticed TWO BETTAS in the tank! The first fish was in there!!! and they had been (of course) fighting that morning. The first betta had been stuck under a rock the entire week! The rock that I had even moved to look for him! If I had picked it up, I would have found him, but I had only slid it over and he must have slid with it. He looks pretty tattered and weak, but I think he will make it. Poor little guy. Needless to say, the rock is gone.

o

The worst I've had was fish jumping out. And I have a hood... I can't figure it out, I know I'd see a fish sailing past my head. But then my dad also helps to keep the tank...

A couple of days ago I almost stepped on one of my hatchet fish that was dried out on the floor. I yelled at my dad... twice. Once when I told him not to leave it open and half an hour later when I found the poor little guy. What a slow death.

o

• Posted by DocNo z7 NOVA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 0:51

Yow - I have another heater tale of woe.... my mom came yelled down the hall early one morning "hey, the fish tank is REALLY hot!"...

I saved everyone but my large Bala Shark :( the tank was between two chairs in my parents living room, and if you were sitting in a chair, he would come over and spit gravel at the side of the tank until you ran your finger along the glass - and then he would chase it. Have never had a non-chichlid with so much personality since....

I just set up a 75 in my living room and have one big heater in it now. After reading this thread, I think I am going to go get two 50 watt heaters - good advice and reminder. I may even just get a good, high quality external thermometer/switch to use as a high-limit backup monitor. Unfortunately it gets too cold here in the Winter for me to chance no having a heater....

and to those who mentioned to have a thermometer - duh! Unfortunately Murphy was an optimist and the heater picked the middle of the night to malfunction :( It helped me confirm the problem, but didn't do anything to alert me to the malfunction. Hmm, a cheap external electronic thermometer with an alarm - will have to go google now....

o

This is an old thread I see, but what fun! Me thinks I will bump it.

I am merely reiterating a story my friend told me. But it is a doozie.

He had a room mate with two cats. He himself (I will call him Gary, to protect the guilty) had a big tank with 5 black pirahnas in it.
They came home one day and found the door would not open quite right. Under it were fish remains. They looked all over but could only find one kitty, who was hiding behind the couch and shaking with fear.
Upon checking the fish tank, they found bits of fur and gore and one less fish.
The conclusion (My dear Watson):
Kitty number one snagged himself a pirahna. Dragged it by the door, ate it, and went back for another. Having blood on its paws from the first, it stuck its paw in to grab a second and set off a feeding frenzy and got itself devoured.

Gross.

o

My goodness. The stories I can tell. But ill just stick to fish. When I was around 7 I won a goldfish at a event. Inamed it Nala, (from Lion King.) I loved that fish. Eventually we built up a community of fish. One day the tank needed to be cleaned. My dad had the honors.It was rather traumatic to see all of the fish floating there. And I found out recently that he thought it was the water. But the dish soap he used is more likely.

Now for something more recent. I have a betta named Coro (full name Coro Coro Ticah Santos). When I first got him I was excessively paranoid. Anytime I felt something minutely off I went to question the pet store. They now know me by name. I've dropped him at least twice. One time he hit his head on a hard surface... He was ticked off for weeks. Now he is in a 5 gal hex Marineland... I. May have overdone it.

o

• Posted by hald Sunset 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 23:45

1. In 1989 after being in an accident I moved in with my sister and her family while I recuperated. My aquarium, a big hex at the time, sat in a corner of her dining room. One night my golden retriever got into a fight with her great dane and the aquarium came crashing down on them. Many fish were saved, most perished.
2. In 1996 I did a water change and the tap water was contaminated with something, I've never figured out what. The family of guppies I've had since 1968 was decimated. I was down to 5 males and one female that had a genetic defect - a badly curved back. Now I occasionally see the genetic defect again in the new generations of babies. It's a recessive defect apparently, because I've seen it only a few times since '96. I always think back about that female in '96 and how thankful I am her offspring survived.

o

I am so bummed. Did a really stupid thing and lost 6 of my 7 glo fish today. Have had them for about 6 months. Did a water change and I guess the water was too cold. Stupid me, I am usually very careful about that. They all died within 10 minutes. Such an idiot! They really added a lot of activity to the tank! Now, its just empty looking. Have 4 black skirt tetras, 6 cory cats and one candy stripe ple*o left. Oh, and one freaked out glo fish, lol! Actually, they are all acting a little freaked out right now. Just hope I dont lose any more!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here