Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Water Softener hurt my fish?

Posted by azponder (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 07 at 18:08

The water here in Arizona is extremely hard (off the chart on my test strips). So we installed a water softener which uses potassium or salt. We chose potassium for the taste and not wanting extra salt in our diet. We also have a reverse osmosis filter system for drinking water.

However, now I am wondering about what water is best for the fish tank. Out of the garden hose tap you get untreated municipal water (the hard stuff). Out of any faucet besides the kitchen sink you get softened water. At the kitchen sink you get softened, and filtered water. I assume that the kitchen water would be best, but then I wondered about the potassium.

If the answer isnt an obvious one, I will do some tests of each source and post the numbers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Water Softener hurt my fish?

By all means test the water. You might find that mixing some of all may give you what you want for the fish. It also depends on the kind of fish you are keeping.

However, unless you are breeding them and need to keep them in their most natural conditons to prime them for swawning, it's generally better to just keep less sensitive species and acclimate the fish to your water than to try to completely change your water chemistry to suit the fish.

o

Your RO water will be your best bet. Mix the RO with tap.

o

Some fish, particularly those that are indigeonous to South America, prefer soft (and acid) conditions. That's mostly Tetras and Discus..

o

It all depends on the fish kind. The levels of functioning of your water softener have also to be checked in order for you to not have any kind of problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete water softener reviews

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here