Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kh2009

Betta wont eat....can they absorb nutrients from the water??

kh2009
14 years ago

Hi! I also have a betta boy that won't eat. He is clearly ill and I treated him promptly and appropriately today. He has improved only slightly and in the meantime I was hoping that if he could get some nutrients he might regain strength and get healthy again faster.

This may be a silly question, but does anybody know if those time-release, 'vacation feeder' blocks might work to dissolve in the water and passively provide nutrients (kinda like an IV for people)..or does the fish still need to actively eat the food himself?

Comments (4)

• sherryazure
    14 years ago

In answer to your question - no.

I do betta rescue, 45 years experience (and background in pre vet/zoo/ocean sciences so on).... For starters, please list conditions, ie tank size (at least a five hopefully, cycled, planted, filtered -- low flow), heated (hopefully) water chemistry, so on.

What symptoms of sickness did you find. Be as precise and detailed as you can ok. What did you treat him with? He could have internal bacteria (common) and being eaten alive not feel like eating! Parasites, hemorrhagic septicemia, constipation so on - many possibilities.

(meds are all toxic so even that used incorrectly can cause illness)

See photos at this link.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

(sorry but this means nothing to be able to assist)

"He is clearly ill and I treated him promptly and appropriately today."

Many animals like us, when sick do not eat, nor need to. Digestion takes up much needed energy. They can go a week or more without food btw. Again, healing first is key.

What foods are you feeding him - pellots are hard on the digestive system (not normal in nature as well)swell up and cause troubles. Worms, living or frozen, types of food closer to their native diet is better, insect larvae, worms, so on (or as close as you can find frozen so on.)

Your first priority is to find out what is wrong, heal him if possible then eating will come back naturally.

• kh2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi..thanks for your response. I had actually already been through the rigamarole of diagnosis so I thought I'd spare you the details. He was a generally happy boy in a 12 gal. tank that sadly got a bacterial infection. He's on antibiotics now and seems to be getting a little better already.

I was hoping to speed his recovery with some kind of passive form of liquid nutrients, but apparently there is no such thing...so I'll wait for the little guy to perk up and get his appetite back.

Thanks again for your reply....keep up the great work rescuing bettas! :-)

• tammypie
    14 years ago

Put him in a 2.5 gallon heated aquarium and see how he fares. Keep the water clean daily - 40% water changes and 100% once a week. Just don't overfeed if his appetite is large, like mine's is.

• cityworm
    14 years ago

What makes you think he is ill? Cause he won't eat? Here you said "He is clearly ill and I treated him promptly and appropriately today. Check water conditions before treating with meds.What did you treat with?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!