Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imaginators

What is the life span for a Beta fish?

imaginators
19 years ago

My Beta fish died on Christmas day. My husband rescued him from WalMart. He had been treated very poorly there. Any way he lasted over a year in our home. Today I purchased a young, lively, deep royal blue Beta at PetMart. He is in my 1 gallon vase bowel with live water plant and Stresscoated treated room temperature water. How old can these fish get before they pass away? In the future I am thinking about getting a 5 gallon tank and have a female and male Beta in it. Also is tank gravel recommended for their environment?

Theresa

Comments (82)

• skygee
    18 years ago

I have two male Bettas whose tanks are butted up against each other. I put a paper divider between the two allowing only about an inch on one side where they can actually see one another. That way they can kinda get away from one another when they want! LOL... but they will display and posture to the other through the day - but it's not constant. The longest I've ever had a Betta is two years. But I usually get mine from (urp!) the horrid chain stores... so I'm not certain of their overall health by the time I get them home.

I DO have two male bettas in my big community tank - which is 70 gallons. Lots of floating plants in that tank and I set up areas of territories for them to chose as they like. It's worked out well. They even will come up for food together.

The ability to do this will depend on the aggressiveness of the individual bettas. They were both still fairly young when introduced into the new tank - and there is quite a bit of action and various "dither" fish (tetras) that are distracting enough to keep any thought of battling limited.

Now when they encounter one another in the tank (5 months now in this set up) if one postures or flares, the other usually swims off to a different part of the tank. There's no chasing.

• jimkpaph
    18 years ago

Bettas are warm water fish so are large mouth bass

Goldfish are cold water fish, so are trout

• BlindSeaman
    18 years ago

I got a beta around september or so and have just kept in him in a fairly large goblet that my girlfriend had. Its pretty small compared to even a gallon tank but from what I read they don't need much more space than than that and he seems to be happy. I just change the water once a week, it takes about five minutes.

Here is a bad picture of buddah:
    {{gwi:381285}}

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Please, please, please get your fish a gallon or larger tank right now. You cannot keep a fish in a goblet no matter what the pet stores say. Bettas do like space, just like any other fish, just like you and me. It is cruel to keep a fish like that.

First, you have to change the water every single day. Ammonia will build up to dangerous levels by the end of the day. Your fish does not look at all happy in that cup. Once they have space they will swim around, flare, and you will get to know their personalities.

Second, your fish needs heat. A small amount of water like that will have large temperature fluctuations all day, and will make the fish sick (not to mention the high ammonia levels by the end of the week). I"m surprised your fish isn't dead by now. Unfortunately, you can't heat a goblet, which is why you need a tank, at least 1 gallon.

Do you condition the water he lives in?

I hope you'll make the decision to give your pet fish a better life. He deserves it.

• BlindSeaman
    18 years ago

I normally just let the water sit out for five hours or so to get the temperature close to what his water is. Are they de-cloronizing tablets or anything like it that I should be using when I change his water?

His colors really are rich and healthy looking, I think that was the flash/water making him look pale. Whenever I get close he gets excited and swims around looking at me.

From what I read they are ok in small spaces because they are used to basically living in mud puddles. This is a low oxygen enviroment so they use their ability to breath outside air to survive.

I'm really not trying to harm him in anyway but, he does seem to be doing fine as he is. I'll do some more research and see what I can find online about it.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I started this post in December and we are now in April and it is still going.
    Before you put your pet betta into a min. size 1 gallon water glass container, water treatment is a must...such as Stresscoat taking out harmful junk in the water will keep your fish from death role and live for several happy years. If not the water treatment then get some distilled water from the market to use for your fish's home. The reason for water changes and cleaning out the bowl/tank of water. The fish have to swim in their waste like you swimming in a toilet bowl. Not fun or healthy. Also the rule for any fish required space to live in is 1" fish for 1 gallon of water. The bigger the space the better and easier to control the environment conditions. I made the mistake of getting a 12 gallon tank and added 6 angel fish. I will be getting a much larger tank when the money tree comes in. In the mean time I have a Aqua Pharm tap water purifier (bought $30.00 new on Ebay and works great) that gives me plenty of pure water for the fish. Also I no longer have brown/green algae issue. The small Namo glass tank seems to be very stable in the ph/nitrates readings and crystal clear even with my 6 small to medium size angels.
    So for now I have switch from Bettas to Angels. Both types of fish are so beautiful and enjoyable. I find the Angelfish to be more sociable but they have their peck sessions at times.
    theresa

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Letting your water outgas is okay, but chloramines, a replacement for chlorine, will not leave the water and will still hurt your fish. Get some water conditioner like NovAqua and Amquel, Prime, Stresscoat, etc.

All fish like bigger spaces. Humans used to live in caves, does this mean we all need to live in caves or cave-like spaces? Bettas from the wild live in rice paddies, not mud puddles. The water is shallow, but deeper than a wine glass, and they can swim around to their heart's desire. Check out the link at the bottom. That'll give you an idea of what the wild betta's natural habitat is, and maybe it'll change your mind.

Your fish may look colorful now, but he will gain more color when he has clean water, heat, and a larger place to live. Bettas look nice in those tiny cups in the store, but unless the store is phenomenal in taking care of the fish, those colors are muted and dull compared to their true colors.

Theresa:
    Distilled water is deadly to fish. Tap water is the cheapest and best source of water.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:377220}}

• jimkpaph
    18 years ago

I seriously doubt that any fish could be happy in a goblet. Happy male bettas will build bubble nests.I have never seen one do that in a cup. Please, please, spend a few bucks and put them in a small aquarium.

{{gwi:381286}}

{{gwi:381287}}

{{gwi:373707}}

This is my male crowntail in his 5 gallon tank.

• BlindSeaman
    18 years ago

"Humans used to live in caves, does this mean we all need to live in caves or cave-like spaces?"

I don't know, I'm sure our former cave-dwelling selves had some good times in their caves. :)

But, you all have convinced me and I try and pick up a 1-gal fishbowl this week. Now to figure out where to put it...

jimkpaph: That fish is gorgeous, did you get it from a breeder?

• jimkpaph
    18 years ago

No, I bought him from a local fish shop in Fort Collins. There is a breeder here in Colorado though.

• michelle_s_phxaz
    18 years ago

BlindSeaman, I am so happy to hear that you will be getting a larger home for your Betta! I have had Bettas in 1 gallon fishbowls, the vase/plant/fish setup, and my current setup, a 2.5 gallon hexagonal plexiglas tank with light and bubbler from Wal-Mart for $16.

Gus is insanely happy in this setup, I have never had a Betta so happy. I truly think it is because of the light, the water is much warmer than the other setups I have had, and also the bubbler provides extra oxygen. I add water about once a week and change it monthly. I use tap water from our reverse-osmosis system with a de-chlor/stresscoat juice.

I think I found the recipe for a happy Betta!

• Minaku
    18 years ago

BlindSeaMan, I'm so happy you decided to upgrade your betta's living conditions. Just don't forget to get him a small heater (7.5 watts is fine, or even a 25 watt heater, but nothing more than that) for his tank! His water needs to be between 78 and 80 degrees, no fluctuations, so get a non-shiny thermometer. Otherwise he'll flare at it all the time.

Your fish doesn't really need gravel because a 1 gallon can't really be cycled, so don't go nuts with the gravel. Just get him a hidey hole and a silk plant or two and he'll be happy as a clam.

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

"I don't know, I'm sure our former cave-dwelling selves had some good times in their caves. :) "

i like that! personally, i think i belong in one most of the time!!

hi, theresa!

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi fairy toadmother,
    I felt like I was in a cave this past Winter with all the indoor blues. Now fairy toadmother, you need to do something special for your self considering all that you have gone through.

My small aquarium is sparkling clear with Ion exchanged reactivated carbon filter resulting in purified tap water. Even my Angels seem like happy dwellers. All they care about is food and clean environment. This Aqua Pharm tap water purifer works great and did not cost me a fin tail for it either.
    Theresa

• Kosplath
    18 years ago

I have two betas, male and female (separated) what types of fish do they get along with? I wanted them to have a partner to swim around with, or are they more of the loner type?

Also, my male beta, Oscar seems to be floating at the bottom of his bowl. Is this how they sleep? I plan on upgrading his bowl to a tank, since the female has a 10 gallon tank.
    Would a tank light irritate them?

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Male bettas are best left alone. Females can live in a school of 3 or more.

Oscar may be perfectly normal (can't tell without a picture). Often fish will sleep at the bottom of their tanks, or anywhere they please. And a tank light won't bother your betta in the least unless it causes a reflection in the sides of the tank. Make sure you turn it off before you go to bed at night - bettas like having night and day cycles, just like we do.

• kbm11
    18 years ago

I just bought my first betta fish yesterday, and i have a couple of questions. I have a about a 1 1/2 quart container that i bought for him, is that big enough? Some people say they only need small spaces, while others say bigger bowls are better. I added water conditioner to tap water, but it seems to make the water a little bit cloudy. Is that normal? Thanks for any responses.

• Glow_AZ
    18 years ago

You all talk of males and females so easily...gosh how can you tell.....I have no idea what I have...he is a bright blue with 2 red fins in the bottom front....

• james_ny
    18 years ago

The males have the long fins and usually the bright colors.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Welcome everyone,
    I started this post last December and it is still going. Amazing. Well I now have no Bettas but switched to a community of angelfish in a tropical aquarium not a bowl. The male Betta is one of the most beautiful fresh water fish. I never could figure out why the male gets all the looks with colorful long flowing fins and female looks like a guppy maybe with a touch of color. HA! I found the female betta can be more aggressive then the male Betta. A female betta can acutally bully and peck the male to death. I don't blame her, she is jealous of his beauty. The male betta has a lot of personality and enjoyable to watch.
    Theresa

• rhymeswithbear
    18 years ago

I had a beautiful betta in a little 2.5 gallon tank with a light and plant in a nice warm spot. He was very happy and was always building a bubble nest. Then he died. My other betta is in a 10 gallon tank at 78 degrees with 3 plants and 2 rasbora, 2 white clouds, a bumblebee goby and a plecostomus. He doesn't seem very happy, but I don't want to put him in the 2.5 gallon tank because it's previous occupant died a painful death involving fungus. I don't know what's best at this point, but I cleaned out the old tank with bleach and I'm wondering what I should do.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

The rasorbas or white clouds may be nipping at him. The plec will eventually outgrow the 10 gal. Gobies can be a little fiesty and are actually considered brackish water fish. Generally rasorbas and white clouds are kept 6 or more groups. Maybe reuse the 2.5 for the betta you can get a heater and filtration for that size, or another 10 gal set up and use the 2.5 as a combo back-up, hospital,isolation tank.

• rhymeswithbear
    18 years ago

The reason that I have only 2 rasbora and 2 white clods is because my plec is getting very large. I have arranged to get a 50 gallon tank on monday, and I am going to purchase more white clouds and rasbora. I think a 50 gallon will be big enough for my plecostomus, who should grow to be 2 ft. I didnt know that the goby was considered a brackish water fish, that's not what the guy at the fish store told me. I will make my ten gallon a brackish water tank, and buy a filter and heater for the 2.5 gallon, for my betta. Sound like an okay setup?

• GuppyGuppy
    18 years ago

My male Betta, Donald, has been in my preschool classroom for almost a year. A few months ago, I had tried to give him a 2.5 gallon tank and I brought him home so I could enjoy him more, especially on the week ends. But he was NOT himself. I never would have beleived it, but Donald really seemed to be DEPRESSED! I couldn't stand seeing him unhappy, he barely ate anymore and never flared his fins for me like before. I felt so awful for him that I put him back in his little tank and brought him back to preschool. Now he is his happy old self once again. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
    The problem i am having now is that i am about to quite my job and I can not leave poor Donald behind...for fear of fishy neglect by the new teacher in there. What do I do? I CAN'T "leave" him, but I am afraid he will get depressed again. (Also, the little tank he is happy in right now belongs to my boss and my husband thinks it's too small and ugly anyway)
    Thanks for any help.
    GuppyGuppy

• lena_19
    17 years ago

I also rescue my beta from Wal-Mart, knowing this made me feel good. The first time I saw him made me instantly fall in love with him. He was my first fish and to make him more comfortable I bought a ten gallon tank. Soon after I added more fish so he wouldnt be to lonely, and even though some of those fish died because of the ammonia spike he seemed ok. But today I found him dead. And I dont know what happened, he was fine yesterday and he never had any problems (with that I mean getting sick or having infections), I had him only for 3 months and this made me feel so horrible. I felt like he would have been better off in Wal-Mart, cause at least he might still be alive. I am thinking about purchasing a new one and to prevent him from dying so soon I was wondering if maybe one of you could help me answerer this two questions:
    1. How can I tell if a beta is sick if he is not showing any signs?
    2. How warm should the water be?
    I do have thermometer but I also have a fish in the tank that needs it a bit warmer like about 80 F. My water a bit less then 80 F but over the green line.
    Thanks for the help

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Don't feel bad. He would have been dead the next day if you left him at walmart in the tiny cup. Usually fish that cycle the tank have shortened life spans. They may not look ill, but they do get serious damage from the toxic conditions. Just like anyone exposed to a carsinogen or toxic environment, the affect may not show for some time. I can help you cycle your 10 gallon without using fish (if its not cycling allready). If your tank is cycled get a replacement soon so beneficial bacteria doesn't die off. I have no time to explain in detail nowe but will later this evening.

• lena_19
    17 years ago

Thanks alot woeisme, if you could olny explain what that cycling the water is all about and how i would know if it is cycled. I have the tank over 3 months now if that helps to answere the question.
    Thanks alot for the help :)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

If you can get a good test kit it would help alot. I like A.P.I. freshwater master test kit. http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Test kit

• ghoullieboy
    17 years ago

Hello! My beautiful blue betta passed away yesterday after only 7 months and 7 days. He was a great fish and an even better friend!! I named him Johnny 5 because I got him on December 31, 2005 from a friend who had betta's on tables as decorations at his wedding reception and also because after the drive home, I got him out of my car and he wasn't moving. I said to myself, "I already killed him." Then suddenly he awoke and I said, "Johnny 5 is alive!!" I later gave him a nickname of Johnny Bolt from the way he would always bolt around with joy when I entered the room! Instead of just flushing him down the toilet, I'm going to give him a proper burial because he deserves it. He was not only my pet, but my friend! I talked to him, played guitar for him and watched many of his shows! I'm not sure what went wrong, but I am guessing it was due to his water conditions. I should have cleaned his water more often. I had him in a 1 gallon tank. Unfortunately, there would be times when I would not get to cleaning his tank for up to 2 weeks or a little more. I am also learning that his water may have been too cold in our apartment with central air. This was my first betta and I did everything I could to keep him alive and happy. I am feeling very sad and depressed. I think I'll do a lot more research before purchasing another betta. After reading entries from above, I have concluded that he did have a happy for he built bubble nests quite often and swam with a soaring personality!! There's so much to learn about these awesome fish...I'm open to any advise or references that I can get.

Sincerely,

Eric

• alexis
    17 years ago

I've had female bettas and most of them had pretty colors. One was a long finned red female (Edith the ballet dancer). One was a short finned red female (Morrocan Beauty). One was a yellow, irridescent short finned one. One was a beautiful blue short finned betta (Beautiful Dreamer). The current one is shiny irridescent white with red fins and lavender areas on them. So some females do have pretty colors. The longest one I had was a red male from a Petsmart named Leonardo that died after living for at least five to six years. After that, the longest one I had alive was a lavender colored male named Gyspy Prince for about one to two years. The other ones lasted a year or less. Morrocan Beauty lived for about a year and a few months. I don't know if it's me or that the betta fish that are bred for the stores are not in as good shape as they used to be when being sold. I was told I must of took good care of them if they even lived one year after being sold in those chain stores.

• collegegirl88
    17 years ago

i have had my male beta fish for about four months now and he has always seem very happy and comfortable in his one gallon tank. i change the water often and use a water conditioner and this seems to work on keeping his tank clean. however in the last week or so everytime he see me or pretty much anything get to close to his tank he flips out and flares up and swims all over the place. does anyone know what this could be about. any help will be great. thanks!

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Is the gallon container a bowl or rounded? If you don't have now, add a plant to the tank to give it a sence o security. Its possible he's seeing his own reflection, too add. Start a new thread about this if you can.

• gatorfish
    17 years ago

Oh my! I have learned so much by reading this post. My 8 year old son just cried himself to sleep tonight after his Beta fish died. We have had the fish only since June. We called him Gatorfish because he had an orange body and a beautiful blue tail... we happen to be Gator fans.

I have now learned that I just didn't know enough to keep him happy and healthy. I listened to the "chain pet store" that sold him to us. He insisted that the fish did not need a lot of space. We kept him in a vase. We changed his water every two weeks with bottled water and fed him daily. We had two bettas and Gatorfish was the most lively fellow. I changed his water this afternoon and it was full to the top. He somehow flipped himself out and landed on the counter. We found him there and placed him back into his vase. He was alive however, a couple hours later he wasn't. My son is devestated. I went on the internet to find out lifespan to reassure him that Gator led a long life for a fish and discovered that not only it wasn't long but it could have been better quality. I would have gladly bought him a bigger home if the so called "Betta expert" at the pet store had recommended it. I am going out tomorrow to get a better home, a thermometer and plants for our remaining fish. THanks everyone for all the info....

May "Kitty" live a longer healthier life. (don't ask about the name. My four year old wanted a cat so he named his fish "Kitty")

• smunkey
    17 years ago

Two years ago, my poor Smunkey died from getting cloudy eyes! I'm not sure what killed him, but he lived for about two years. He brought me some joys and pains by behaving happy and jumping out of his bowl once. The dorm was extremely hot at school, and I didn't know it would turn out to be beneficial. Recently, I bought two more betas. The tank is like the one I put Smunkey in. It's wider and has a divider to separate the two males! I'm a little worried about them swimming to the bottom and lying there. I'm going to get a mini-heater or even a Bunsen burner, anything to keep the water warm to 75-80 degrees. I put up a picture of my 1.5 gallon aquarium. I hope it's sufficient for them to grow, so I have a reason to kill off that lone fish using the 10 gallon. No, in fact I'll buy a new one to avoid the bad bacteria. LOL The left side is a crown-tail. I didn't want a female because she looked too small to my eyes and reminded me too much of Smunkey.

catch(e) ">" href="http://bp1.blogger.com/_uCiozoW56bk/RbWhiSeRCEI/AAAAAAAAAAk/6sB6CxnE6qg/s1600-h/DSCN1464.JPG">;{{gwi:381288}}

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

If it were me, I would buy a 10 or 15 or 20 gallon tank and have it planted with Water Sprite, plant bulbs,... and I would have a male & female betta. I would also keep other bubblenest builders, such as the dwarf gouramis, paradise fish, pearl leeris, blue gouramis, giant gouramis. This was essentially what I had when I was a kid. I used to breed them, so it was one pair per tank.

Fancy guppys also do well with them, as well as lg. neons, zebra danios, and other livebearers.

• anneow
    17 years ago

Please tell me what to do. It's my daughters Beta, in a very small tank. Will he die?

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started this post and I cannot believe it is still going. Now this past Christmas I receive a 75 gallon tank to start my tropcial aquarium. I think Bettas are one of the prettiest tropical fish (along with the Discus) but need more care then the public realizes. I have learned that it is best to have your single Betta in no smaller then a 1 gallon container with FILTER. Unless you want to change the wasted water often. Frequent water changes can still be stressful for your pet Betta. My honest feeling on this subject, from experience, I would have a single Betta in a 5 gallon tank with filter and heater again this is not expensive. Make sure your treat the water to get the stuff out from the tap water. You should probably have a really happy fish. Also consider feeding the fish some live worms for treats. He will be you best fin friend. Ha! Always have back up medicine, salt, and water treatment on hand incase your fish get sick. Purchase a water tester to see the PH balance of your water. These are very simple things to do. Purchase books on your fish and learn as much as you can so you can be prepared if your Betta gets sick or understand his behavior. These items are not expensive and can save a fish if the emergency happens.
    Theresa

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

In my opinion, although a Betta is a bubblenest builder, with the labyrinth breathing apparatus to live in oxygen deficiant environs, anything kept in captivity, such are our tanks and bowls, they need auxilliary help. Nature does all the oxygenating and waste removal and feeding, etc..., without help from us. But when we attempt to maintain artificial environments, they need help. As Theresa suggested, they would benifit greatly from having filtration / aeration, and larger quarters. The larger the quarters, the more stable the environment and the less stress put on the fish.

As a sidenote, as a kid, I bred one pair of Bettas. I had a 5.5 gallon tank, heavily planted, with the pair. They bred and to tell ya the truth, long after having removed the parents and thinking that the young had died out, and converted it to cultivation of Water Sprite - I saw some movement. Apparently, one baby survived. although totally neglected, he managed to find food for himself and continue on. Weird!

• Majestik021_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a question, im getting ready to go on a trip for a couple months and I'd like to bring my beta. On a road trip how long could my beta survive in like a gallon milk jug (or something similar without his filter) for example while we are on the road to my deztination, which is about a 24 to 30 hour car ride?

• Betalover
    12 years ago

If you are going to mix other fish with your beta try Tetras, Sucker fish, or other fish that can swim fast but do not have colorful flashy fins. The male fish will be attracted to the duller fish, and also, in the instance you will put a male & female beta together, after mating she will kill the male (and you will have a million little betas). When betas are in community tanks they are all males. In my tank, with the tiny but colorful tetras, the tetras can out swim the beta and also he could care less about them. He dose however love our sucker fish (who could care less about the beta lol)

• Arendena
    11 years ago

My Betta, Charly, just died today he lived for five years. I wanted to know if that was a good life span for him. He lived in a 3 gallon tank . I just found this forum and was very surprised that Bettas can be with a cory cat or some other select fish. I had been under the impression that they had to be alone. I plan to get another Betta but I am wondering if my tank is big enough to have a cory cat in there too?

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Dont put a female and male together if you dont want one of them to turn up dead one morning. Females and males should only be put together when breeding and then once the male squeezes the eggs out of the female and fertilizes them the female should be removed as he will kill her. Anyway it depends on the fish and its living conditions and how old u get it when u buy it. Fish in stores can range from a few months to 2 years old so you will never know how old your fish is when you get it. I have had bettas for 4 years and my inlaws had them before that. They can in my experience live for 3 or 4 years in good living conditions, treated well with a low stress environment.

• billpro
    11 years ago

They can live from one to 6 years. But of course, a lot depends on you.

I have a five gallon tank. I don't use a filter, nor ammonia pills. When you are ready to clean the tank, first fill up some gallon(s) of water with tap water, and with the cap off, let them rest for about 3 to 5 days. That will allow for most of the chemicals to evaporate, and it is very easy to do. I suggest that you leave some of the water in the tank in place. Just enough for your beta to swim. In my case I don't always fill the tank to the top. It depends on the season and temperature, not to mention, it is fun to rearrange the contents of the tank, with different levels of water. Your beta will appreciate it. So what I do, is leave a low lever for the fish to swim, and then pour the new water in. It is also a good chance to give your tank a nice vacuum as some of the remaining "trash" surfaces. This will never fail. If you wish to give your tank a full cleaning, then save a nice portion of that water. Clean the tank real well, and add the new "already bottled" saved water. Allow for a day or two, just to make sure that no residue from the cleaning remains in the tank. Then add the fish together with the old water, free of dirt. If you talk to your fish, and change his surroundings, you will see him develop a personality. If you have a female, of course don't mix him with the male unless you are closely watching, and let it be in his turf. If no chemistry, immediately remove the female. If they have already shown some "attention" remove the female. She desires more attention than he is willing to give and at that point she will kill him. Very fast, very lethal. As far as the babies, let the fish eat them, it isn't worth the hassle LOL.

• tammypie
    11 years ago

I have a boy VT that I purchased from PetSmart sometime this year. I kept him in a 2-1/2 gallon heated tank with substrate. After awhile I noticed him floating on his side, after feeding him. I knew this was Swim Bladder Disease. This happened all the time to the point where I was afraid to feed him. Then one day I noticed stress stripes on him. So I thought I'd try something. Put him in a large 1-1/2 gallon glass vase with a small heater. After I did this, he began to change. No more swim bladder issues. No more stress stripes. He is now vibrant and begun making bubble nests where he never did before. He has a hearty appetite and I'm so happy that he seems to be better - in a vase.

Do I recommend keeping betta in a vase? No. But this one seems to be happier. So I will keep him there.

• sunydaze33
    11 years ago

Hello...just coming across this post (read them all by the way) lol Always searching for info on my Betta Goliath. I'll start by saying I'm not sure where some get their improper info from....so I will go with the more consistent info which seems to be more correct in all the research that I have looked up myself. Would like to also add that just because someone works in or around selling these beauties don't always know what the heck they are talking about they are mainly there to sell & will tell you whatever (like they know) to make that sale. I use to be one of those people that worked at the Mall in the pet store.

Ok on with how I came about getting my Goliath :) My daughter had bought me a 3 gal. tank kit for Christmas this past. Well from having many tanks in my younger years I began searching on the internet for which fish to choose for this small tank she bought me lol and which fish will do well together. The Betta's beauty caught my eye :) So decided that that is what I would go with...next step as to who can share this tank with him... Got all my info & went shopping. Not a happy camper on seeing how these beautiful fish are housed!! (not that I didn't see this online) but seeing in person is just awful. Of course I wanted to buy them all! But couldn't of course lol I shopped a few pet stores (leaving with a sad feeling that is) went to Meijer's and that is where I found Goliath...to my surprise they all looked healthy in nice clean plastic bowls made and labeled for the Betta's. I bought him and headed over to Jack's Aquarium which is the next best taken care of pet store. There I bought my dwarf frogs & 6 neon tetra's & a plant for Goliath to rest or sleep. I have a happy tank & Goliath is loving his new pad of room to move. He makes his bubble nests (in which is a good sign that he is happy). My neon tetra's didn't make it because they all got sucked up in my filter tube :( Sooo this opened the door for me to buy a algae eater...so I bought a Otocinclus catfish (very peaceful fish) & he won't out grow my tank ;) What a wonderful bubbly personality Goliath has. I now finger feed him :) I'm happy and my tank is very happy it all shows! Ps in left back corner of pic you can see the 2 dwarf frogs playing in the bubble stream lol but I turned that off because Goliath likes calm tank best ;)

• sunydaze33
    11 years ago

Goliath

• rainbow_brite121
    10 years ago

I just recently lost my betta fish of 15 months and I am very saddened of his loss, but I would like to get a replacement betta but I also want to get a tank mate to get when I get a new betta, I have a 5 gallon tank from the last one what is a good mate for the new betta when I get him? And info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sarah

• nature_freak
    10 years ago

For how long does water stand in a rice field at the most a month then that's it for them just like Killifish.
    http://www.google.co.uk/#q=killifish&spell=1&sa=X&ei=ToPmUYjqD8iyhAfduICADw&ved=0CCgQvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49405654,d.d2k&fp=8e4c90afc15472e3&biw=1024&bih=510
    A season is all that nature gives them.

• Harrypotter17
    10 years ago

Hi this is Harry.I have a blue beta fish.It is a male. I feed him every other day. I change his water once a week and he is living a very happy life!!

• JordanWalker
    10 years ago

The average life span of a betta fish depends on a few different factors, the first is store care. They tend to not live as long as they could because they've usually been kept in bad/cold water at the store, can have some kind of weakness but never got culled, been bred with bad genes so weak or negative traits keep getting passed on. Also, big pet stores tend to sell males at least 6-9 months old because that's when their fins are fully grown in and since people buy them for "prettiness" they won't sell them younger because they don't look "pretty" yet and no one buys them. Wal-Mart and some other big box stores sell bettas at 12-18 months old. Pet store/big box bettas tend to live 2-3 years on average, so you can see that depending on how old he was when you bought him he could easily be halfway or more through his life.