Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

Amorphophallus growing season

jardinerowa
10 years ago

Hey all!

I haven't posted on this for almost a year!
OK here's the deal. I grew amorph konjac and a few other aroids for the first time last year. I had purchased three tennis ball size amorphs and planted two in pots and one in the ground. One was too small of a pot, but the other one was fine. They all got sun from the morning to about 2pm.
The one in the small pot and in the ground only had their leaf fully unfurled for like a month and then the stalk fell over. I thought that was an awfully short growing season. I noticed they had gotten burnt on the edge of the leaves. I didn't know if it was because I was over-fertilizing or from the sun.
The leaf from the one in the bigger pot lasted longer, maybe two months unfurled. I was also gone part of the summer. When I came back I dug up the tuber from the amorph in the bigger pot. It had several offshoots and was now slightly bigger than a softball. The tuber was now bigger but certainly not the growth I was expecting. The tubers from the small pot and the ground were the exact same size as when I planted them!
I'm torn if I fertilized them too much (I can't imagine how), or if they had too much sun or if something else went wrong? The drainage was excellent in both pots, I know that.
Thanks all!

Z

Comment (1)

Sponsored