Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidoff_gw

Giant Elephant's Ear seed sowing

davidoff
18 years ago

Hello!

I ordered some seed of Giant Elephant's Ear. Can you please give me some tips on how to sow them? And what about further care? How low can it get with temperatures in the winter? Thanks!

Cheers

David

Comments (12)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

David, which giant EE are we talking about? Colocasia, alocasia, and which one? Many are referred to as "giant".

Susan

• davidoff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey!

It's Alocasia odora... I guess I forgot to mention that:D

Cheers

David

• keiko2
    18 years ago

David,
    I'm always surprised that they sometimes sell packaged seeds of Alocasia odora as once the seeds have been removed from the berries and allowed to dry out they quickly die and you probably won't be able to germinate any of them.

If you are getting fresh seeds still in the berries, odora is the easiest of all to raise from seed.

The link below gives complete instructions.

Keiko

Here is a link that might be useful: Alocasia from seed

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Keiko, well darn - I ordered some, too. Chalk it up to lesson learned. I have a lot to learn, and it's not going to happen in less than a year. That's how long I've been at this. So please be patient for my lack of knowledge.

Susan

• davidoff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the replys, but can I put the seed on moist paper towel, wait for them to germinate or show signs of germinating and then put them in soil? Or is that wrong?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    David

• davidoff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the replys, but can I put the seed on moist paper towel, wait for them to germinate or show signs of germinating and then put them in soil? Or is that wrong?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    David

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Hey, David. I don't know for sure about EE's, but I know you can do that with most seed, actually, to check for germination. How many seed did you get, and where did you get yours?

I ordered my from whatcom.com. They have some really cool seed on that site.

Susan

• davidoff
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Susan!

I got 5 seed from a collector here in Slovenia. Where do they sell seed on whatcom.com? I went through it and didn't find anything...

Cheers

David

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

oops - I forgot, I think the website is seedrack.com. You can just google "whatcom" + seed and probably will come up. I love the packaging. Some of the seed comes in those great big envelopes from France and are not too good, but the EE, arisaema, and pawpaw seeds I got were packaged wonderfully.

Susan

• queenrejina
    16 years ago

Dear Susan and David** I would love to know if either of you got seed to germinate? Please follow up as I would like to order seed myself? Rejina

• lariann
    16 years ago

A few years ago I ordered some of the A. odora seed from Whatcom and none of the seeds germinated. I know from many years experience that in order for Alocasia seeds to germinate, they must be fresh. So fresh, in fact, that you remove them from the ripe berry yourself. Anything less than that and you're dead meat. I had some sent to me from China and they still had orange berry tissue on them, but they were not fresh enough to germinate. 0% on that batch. If you get Alocasia seed from someone, be sure they either send you fresh berries or they pack the seeds in moist sphagnum moss immediately after removing them from the berry, and then send the package directly to you.

LariAnn Garner
    Aroidia Research

• HU-121944115
    4 years ago

I need some advice regarding Colocasia Gigantea. I planted the seeds months ago, and every time a seed germinates, the stem comes up, the seed pod falls off to reveal 2 leaves, and the the plant dies. Recently many are sprouting. I have them under a dome and LED blue grow lights. Now I transplant them into individual pots, sinking the stem to reveal only the seed pod or leaves. Currently I'm trying to save the seedlings by removing the dome and increasing the humidity. in the shelving unit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor