Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Elephant's Ear seed sowing

Posted by davidoff (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 18, 06 at 3:52

Hello!

I ordered some seed of Giant Elephant's Ear. Can you please give me some tips on how to sow them? And what about further care? How low can it get with temperatures in the winter? Thanks!

Cheers

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Elephant's Ear seed sowing

David, which giant EE are we talking about? Colocasia, alocasia, and which one? Many are referred to as "giant".

Susan

o

Hey!

It's Alocasia odora... I guess I forgot to mention that:D

Cheers

David

o

David,
I'm always surprised that they sometimes sell packaged seeds of Alocasia odora as once the seeds have been removed from the berries and allowed to dry out they quickly die and you probably won't be able to germinate any of them.

If you are getting fresh seeds still in the berries, odora is the easiest of all to raise from seed.

The link below gives complete instructions.

Keiko

Here is a link that might be useful: Alocasia from seed

o

Keiko, well darn - I ordered some, too. Chalk it up to lesson learned. I have a lot to learn, and it's not going to happen in less than a year. That's how long I've been at this. So please be patient for my lack of knowledge.

Susan

o

Thanks for all the replys, but can I put the seed on moist paper towel, wait for them to germinate or show signs of germinating and then put them in soil? Or is that wrong?
Thanks
Cheers
David

o

Thanks for all the replys, but can I put the seed on moist paper towel, wait for them to germinate or show signs of germinating and then put them in soil? Or is that wrong?
Thanks
Cheers
David

o

Hey, David. I don't know for sure about EE's, but I know you can do that with most seed, actually, to check for germination. How many seed did you get, and where did you get yours?

I ordered my from whatcom.com. They have some really cool seed on that site.

Susan

o

Hi Susan!

I got 5 seed from a collector here in Slovenia. Where do they sell seed on whatcom.com? I went through it and didn't find anything...

Cheers

David

o

oops - I forgot, I think the website is seedrack.com. You can just google "whatcom" + seed and probably will come up. I love the packaging. Some of the seed comes in those great big envelopes from France and are not too good, but the EE, arisaema, and pawpaw seeds I got were packaged wonderfully.

Susan

o

Dear Susan and David** I would love to know if either of you got seed to germinate? Please follow up as I would like to order seed myself? Rejina

o

A few years ago I ordered some of the A. odora seed from Whatcom and none of the seeds germinated. I know from many years experience that in order for Alocasia seeds to germinate, they must be fresh. So fresh, in fact, that you remove them from the ripe berry yourself. Anything less than that and you're dead meat. I had some sent to me from China and they still had orange berry tissue on them, but they were not fresh enough to germinate. 0% on that batch. If you get Alocasia seed from someone, be sure they either send you fresh berries or they pack the seeds in moist sphagnum moss immediately after removing them from the berry, and then send the package directly to you.

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here