Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fman_gw

arrival of chen yi bulbs, how to store

fman
17 years ago

i just recieved my order from chen yi. i bought several arisaema bulbs and some candidissimum bulbs. i was wondering if anyone can tell me how to store these until they can be planted out in the spring. should i put them in the refrigerator or in a cold garage? should i plant them up in pots and put them in the basement watering them only on occasion? should i wrap them in newspaper or put them in peat. how dry should i keep them. what have you guys done to store yours in the past? thanks for any information.

Comments (5)

• lilydude
    17 years ago

I would place them in slightly moist potting mix in a pot. Place the pot in a plastic bag and seal it with a tie wrap. Put it into the fridge -- NOT the freezer. Or you can put them in small plastic bags without the pot. You still need to surround the bulbs with potting mix, and put a label in each bag. But make sure you seal the bags, or the mix will dry out in the fridge.

The bulbs will eventually start growing in the fridge, so you will need to check them occasionally. If they are growing and you are not ready to plant them out, you will need to pot them up and place them in a cool area that is in bright light, but not in full sun.

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

I store maybe 1,000 Arisaema every winter in my garage in peat completely dry.....especailly ones like candidissimum....I just plop them in big bins and cover them up. Other insaenly easy ones from Chen Yi would be fargessii, franchetianum, all of her erubescens, speciosum, and several others. Just make sure you are not talking about any sub-tropical species that she sells, such as grapsospadix. Now, if you are growing anything tougher like the entire griffithii group (griffithii, wilsonii, utile, nepenthoides, etc.) then these should be kept in barely damp potting mix in the garage as these will issue new roots starting around now or so and then be ready to plant out in the spring....early!! I never use a fridge, but I do know people that do as bacterial rot will stop at these temps and the tuber can actually heal itself in this lovely genus.

It absolutely depends on the species and you have to assume she has labeled them correctly....unlikely unless they are ones like candi. and fargessii which she is very good about.

I guess you now have the usual range of opinions.....best of luck with them :o) Dan

• lilydude
    17 years ago

Dan, what temperature is your garage at? I'll gladly defer to your advice on the Arisaemas. My experience is with a much broader range of bulbs, so I take a more conservative approach. By the way, the advice you offered on hand pollination of Arisaema candidissimum was right on target. I've got some beautiful seedlings growing under lights from seed that I collected last fall.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

Just received my second shipment this winter from Chen Yi, that included additional Arisaema. Like Dan, I store those dry, in plastic containers, in my basement where the temperature remains 50-60 degreesF throughout the winter.
    During the many years that I have ordered from her, I have only received one tuber that was not properly cured and many that needed proper ID. I always laugh when I compare the species names provided with the Phyto and those she has listed. I wait for a bloom to appear and if I don't like it, I toss them and order some more next year!
    Good luck!
    Rb

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

I passed on Chen Yi this year....too many other bulbs from South Arica and now Brazil coming in.

My garage is colder than RB's basement, although maybe not this winter!! Typically it stays around 40F or a bit colder. This year we are so warm that my Frits are alreasy coming up....that is going to be apain when it gets real cold, which I assume it will do eventually :o) Dan

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County