Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia 'Portodora' and Other Elephant Ears

Posted by misssherry Z8/9SE MS (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 12:57

My daughter has moved into a 100-year old, restored home. It has practically no shrubbery around the front, just one lone azalea. There is a dark area beside the porch that gets practically no direct sunshine.
I saw a picture of Alocasia 'Portodoro' in a catalog and thought it would look great planted in that dark corner with other shade lovers planted in front. But the catalog says it needs sun to part sun, so maybe this one won't do.
Can anybody recommend a hardy, tall elephant ear type plant that likes shade?
Thanks!
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia 'Portodora' and Other Elephant Ears

Colocasia esculenta is as you described.

o

Often times we actually have a lot more light than it appears. Too little is always so much more fixable than too MUCH light.

I'd say go ahead and plant the alocasia if your heart is set on that one.

Of course there's nothing wrong with colocasias,xanthosomas,or caladiums...the list goes on.

Experiment and have fun! :)

o

Hi, I think the 'portodora' would be an excellent choice.
Have grown mine in the shade w/ great results.
Check the link for more choices and growing instructions. Good information there. www.alocasiaplants.com

This post was edited by asagaoman on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 19:02

o
RE: Alocasia 'Portodora'

I live in Orange County, California. I'm looking for an Alocasia Portodora to plant in my yard. Anyone out there have any divisions they'd be willing to part with? Thanks!

o
Correct Name: Alocasia x portora

From the hybridizer, LariAnn Gardner, who is the Director of Aroidia Research:

...Alocasias being sold as "portidora", "portadora" or "portodora" are really our Alocasia x portora.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aroid/msg0322232130977.html?11

http://aroidiaresearch.org/portora.htm

http://aroidiaresearch.org/terms.htm

Carol in Jacksonville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here