Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large aroids for shady porch?

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 13:55

I have a north-facing porch that gets relatively bright light but no sun whatsoever. I've grown caladiums successfully but are there any other big-leafed aroids that do well in containers and can take some shade? I need to avoid things like Philodendrons because I just don't have room to bring them inside in the winter. Can any of the elephant ears--Alocasia, Colocasia, Xanthosoma--tolerate shade? I know they mostly prefer full sun, but I'll settle for surviving if not thriving.

BTW which caladiums have the biggest leaves?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large aroids for shady porch?

I have Alocasia 'Calidora' growing in almost full shade under a Photinia tree; it's been there for three years now and produces a show every summer and fall, even though it's in a far less than ideal exposure. It's been hardy under mulch as well. I haven't found a sunny spot for it yet - crinums get those as soon as they open up.

Johnnieb, can I ask a favor? I just posted a question on Pearcea in the gesneriad forum and could use your expertise in that area, if possible.

Thanks so much!

o
RE: Large aroids for shady porch?

I have several alocasia, colocasia and two xanthsoma. Because of our extreme summer heat, mine do much better in afternoon shade. I have some of mine planted on the north side on my house, where they get some direct sun in early morning and again in very, very late afternoon, but bright light all day, they thrive. These do much better than the ones that are planted on the south and west side of my house, these I have to water, really deep, every day and feed every week or they just survive they do not thrive.

I have some that are not hardy for me like; plumbea 'nigra' and lauterbaachina, I am blessed to have a husband that built me a greenhouse, but you could dig them, cut the foliage off and store them in a dry cool place.

BTW some of mine get reallly large, especially my xanthasoma sagittifolium, it gets six foot or more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here