Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_californicus

What determines if a Philodendron erubescens is a Pink Princess?

I work in a nursery with a small indoor-plant section. We don't have a lot of special stuff come in, and one of the regulars we get in are (what I can determine to the best of my ability) are Philodendron erubescens. 6" pots, nothing to identify them other than a tag with "Philodendron" and vague care instructions below it. Red-blushed stems, nothing out of the ordinary for the species, right?

Well about a month ago I noticed one with variegation on it's leafs, and new leaves were continuing to hold the mutation. I bought it, knowing it was something special. Now, from whatever internet research I could gleam, I'm pretty certain I've come into ownership of a Pink Princess cultivar of erubescens, but one question remains: does it fall under that name, or would it technically just be a variegated P. erubescens, no royalty attached?

I can't find any patent information. Pink Princess doesn't appear to be a hybrid, merely a mutation who's variegation has been bred to it's fullest. If that's the case than wouldn't any P. erubescens, showing variegation, be able to be filed / sold as / whathaveyou "Pink Princess"?

It wasn't as important a month ago, I still know that I found a great plant. But now we got in TWO MORE. If it matters, I believe we get them from a Pacific NW supplier called Pam's Sunnyside Greenhouse, but the sticker on the pot is long gone and we do carry a few other grower's plants. Up until now the only Philos they gave us were erubescens and a few really basic green varieties. I believe they carry more, but I've never known them to have a particularly varied stock. I also noticed what a 4" Philo, golden-yellow leaves, that could be P. erubescens "Golden Erubescens". Maybe they're carrying new varieties and haven't bothered with prices, which brings me to my final question:

Are these plants really worth the higher prices? I read left and right that these fetch much higher prices than their non-variegated brethren; if that's the case, I'll buy these few more and propagate a few this spring, if they'll sell.

Thank you for any information you guys have on these Philo's. I've always thought of them as being difficult plants, but this little guy is low-maintenance and happy being special among all my other plants.

-Jordan

Comments (19)

• jordan_californicus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, pictures:

{{gwi:381332}}

{{gwi:381335}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't believe I got this little guy for $8!

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

It has been years since I read the heritage of this plant and I can't find it on the net either. As I recall it was inbred with various mutations as well as some other species. The red comes from Philodendron erubescens but I don't recall what else may have been used. If my memory is correct, the plant was created in or near Orlando, FL and sold or licensed to a tissue culture company for artificial propagation.

I do recall when I read the parentage I was somewhat amused since at least one parent would not be able to cross breed with some of the others but that has been a long time ago.

I believe it is patented so you may need to try to find the patent to understand it fully.

Also, just from memory, the same hybridizer has created a number of other hybrids that are sold with made-up names but use Philodendron erubescens as the major parent. Some take on a roulette form which is not normal for Philodendron erubescens and in one case Philodendron martianum was listed as a parent. I spoke with a noted botanist over that one (it had 7 parents as I recall) and was told such a cross would be very difficult if not impossible to create.

The venation of your plant resembles Philodendron erubescens but since I can't see the petioles or stem well I can't tell if there are any recognizable differences. The upper leaf surface is substantially more glossy than the pure species, at least the large ones I grow.

Steve

• jordan_californicus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't find any lineage online or anything showing that the variety is patented.

I bought one of the newer arrivals today, and it has much more variegation in it's leafs. It matches to a 'T' every picture I can find of Pink Princess. At the very least, I'm almost certain it's a variegated Philodendron erubescens, even if I can't pinpoint it to Pink Princess.

• Leland Laren
    4 years ago

You all seem very versed in mysterious Philodendron lineages. Anyone know what this one may be? I thought maybe a reverted pink princess. Can't find anything quite the same online. Thanks!

• jay
    4 years ago

Sorry if this is too long of a shot but maybe a Pink Princess that has reverted (lost variegation) or a Red Congo. I have 2 Pothos Goldens that have reverted to all green.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

It may be a reverted Pink Princess or something else similar - but, Congos do not vine, so it's not that. It's beautiful.

• Merrique MS
    4 years ago

Leland Laren, it looks like a Majesty or Bloody Mary to me. I have both and they both display wider leaves and on some stems long narrow leaves.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Merrique; Bloody Mary does not have wide leaves - but long narrow leaves. Don't know about Majesty.

• Merrique MS
    4 years ago

The Silent Seed.
    My plant must have a defect then.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

I would not say that - I'm sure it is gorgeous.

Do you have a pic? (I'll post mine too - maybe start a new thread for these?)

• Merrique MS
    4 years ago

@The Silent Seed. Same plant renders both wide and elongated leaves possibly due to ontogeny.

• Merrique MS
    4 years ago

@The Silent Seed. I've been struggling with this plant though. Here's the other leaf.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi,

May I ask where you got that? That looks like a straight-up P. erubescens to me.

Tell us a bit more about what it's struggling with. Maybe overwatering?

This is one of my Bloody Mary plants.

Perhaps the wider leaves are more mature type leaves, but they shouldn't be green, if it was a Bloody Mary.

• Merrique MS
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I got it from an easy seller. He sent me two because the first one I got I struggled a lot with. It dies within a few days. The second one seems to be behaving the same way.

Interesting......I got another punt from another local seller whereby she had no clue what it was but the pot was labeled Majesty. When I cut a piece of the "majesty" to propagate, it actually had bleeding stems. So now I'm not sure what plants I have between what I thought was a Bloody Mary and what may be a Majesty.

The Bloody Mary just starts to wilt after a few days. I acclimated it before potting and it was doing well for a couple days. Today, I felt some of the leaves and they are sad and soggy feeling. My practice is I always wait for the soil to dry before watering as I don't get a lot of light in my home. They are both at a south facing window about 3-4 ft away. Right now there's a lot of overcast in Portland, OR.

One last thing I forgot to mention, the "majesty" has a very very subtle variegation which gives me the impression that it's an imposter.

• The Silent Seed
    4 years ago

Majesty is "similar" but looks more like your plant. I think then yours is Majesty. (Most erubescens varieties do bleed red/purple.) Soggy - makes me think it is cold, or / and root rot. Check the soil near the bottom of your pot for adequate draining. The drain holes may be blocked up a little.

If you want to try again, I'm happy to share some of mine with you.

• brandy hager
    4 years ago

Russ do you ever sell any of ppp? if you do would you please email me at bhager797@gmail.com

• Merrique MS
    4 years ago

@The Silent Seed Ugh. Heartbreak after heartbreak. Are you able to give me some kind of diagnose on what I'm doing wrong with my plants? Currently on hand:

Imperial red.

Bloody mary (the one that was questionable)

Majesty (water prop.)

• Je Hi Jung
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello Plant Lovers! So I agree with Russ I think as the PPP gets bigger it loses variegation. I have a large mother plant and I have taken quite a few cuttings and the small one in my terrarium is the oldest and she is perfectly variegated and color is perfect but does not grow very big. My mother plant on the other hand is struggling and not getting very large leaves. I am also getting

the yellowing that’s looks like thrips attacked them. I am not a huge fan of the PPP as it really is a princess and high maintenance. haha

J