Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anthurium seeds

Posted by john_ny z6/7 Sunset 34 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 08 at 17:03

Does anyone know if the swolen part, on this Anthurium spadix is eeds and, if so, how to handle them? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthurium seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anthurium seeds

Yes, those swollen areas are berries, within which seeds will be found when they are ripe. Once ripe, the berries are squished gently to push out the seeds. I rub the seeds gently on a paper towel to remove as much of the berry as possible, then soak them in distilled water for at least 24 hrs before planting in moist, well draining potting media. They must be kept from drying out; one way to do this is to put the whole pot inside a clear plastic bag, tie it closed, and place it in the shade.

They will germinate in a couple of weeks.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

o

• Posted by john_ny z6/7 Sunset 34 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 15:21

Thank you. I did that. Now, we'll see what happens.

John

o

John, what happened?! Don't keep us waiting!

I started some seeds a month ago - they are germinating, but boy is it sloooooooooow.

Carol

o

• Posted by john_ny z6/7 Sunset 34 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 14:03

That posting was about 5½ years ago, and I can't remember if they germinated - probably not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here