Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with anthurium.

Posted by mpetrizzle zone 5 wisconsin (mtpetri@uwm.edu) on
Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 17:21

i recently transplanted an anthurium i just bought to a new pot with an airy mixture with lava rocks and soil. a few weeks later the leaves started to wilt and slowly fade away. i decided to trim all the wilted leaves hoping to encourage new growth. it seemed to be growing fine, and i placed it under a grow lamp as well as the window. i could see new bracts and leaves emerging, but a few days later the the bracts started to die and the bud snapped right off with a strange yellow color at the base. something similar happened to an anthurium i had before it withered away. i have since moved it away from the light, as i think it might of burned the buds. but i want it to recover, does anyone have any advice on this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with Anthurium.

Can you either post a photo here or email one to Steve@ExoticRainforest.com

The soil should be kept evenly moist as well as keep the plant in moderately bright light. The thing that concerns me is there has been an Anthurium blight running around the globe for some time and your basic description resembles the symptoms. Don't panic since it could easily be something else.

This blight has occurred in the labs of more than a few tissue culture companies and once it is established it cannot be cured. This blight largely affects plants that are known as "ornamental" Anthurium which is likely what you purchased. They just have to destroy all the affected plants so I'd like to show your plant to a couple of experts.

How long after the first plant died before the second plant began to do the same thing?

Other than that you might find help in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Anthurium

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here