Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double spathe

Posted by gliese z6 Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 21:11

Hi. Today I found a small peace lily with two flowers, each with two spathes, and they looked pretty identical, not like random development disorders. I'm just wondering, is this a rarity? I don't have much room for new plants at the time, but if it is something hard to find I'll go back and pick it up since it was only $2.
Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double spathe

It really isn't uncommon. The condition occurs either as a result of too much chemical used when he tissue culture batch was made or too much GA3 given the specimens when they were "pushed" to produce inflorescences.

You can read about it on this page on aroid pollination. Just look for the heading about the forced inducement of an inflorescence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid pollination

o
RE: Double spathe

Thanks! I thought I'd stumbled across something exceptional. I'll still pick it up if I see it again, just to observe the G3 effects for the heck of it, and because it's cheap, but at least now I won't be rushing out to grab it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here