Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsieminski_gw

Anyone know of a place for a variety of EE corms/bulbs?

rsieminski
18 years ago

I have some of the common ones Xan. Sag., Col. Esc....but how about others??

Comments (7)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I just picked up one of the Xanthosomas at the asian market, called malanga. I don't believe it's sagittafolia, though. Keiko could tell you what I probably got. I find some of the common Colocasias at HD or Lowe's actually, when it gets a lot warmer. That's where I picked up Illustris, Black Magic, Fontanesii. I picked up Alocasia plumbea nigra at my local garden center. They were also selling yellow splash, I believe. Alocasia macrorhiza (upright EE), I got at the local garden center, too. I'd keep my eye on the big box stores for these.

Other than that, I shop at Plant Delights for the more unusual. They're too high priced for the more common ones I've mentioned. But, last year, I got C. esculenta 'Ruffles', C. gigantea 'Thai Giant', Alocasia wentii, and I bought a lutea privately.

Good luck!

Susan

• jaxfl_dude
    18 years ago

I like A&b tropicals. www.aandbtropicals.com I used them last spring and the prices are good and the plants are packed well. In fact I am putting together an order myself to place in the next 3-4 weeks....Check em out

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Wow - great prices. I have forgotten about them. Are they in 4" pots? Some of them do not list the hardiness zones. Have you ever e-mailed them, and if so, do they respond quickly?

Susan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Ebay...check out Brians website when he starts selling stuff in the spring. Its called Brians Botanicals. He probably has the largest collection of Aroids in general in the USA.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

No one's mentioned Natural Selections Exotics lately. They have some really nice ones. Send big healthy plants, and postiage is not at all unreasonable for the size of the plants they send (maybe not as large this early in the year.)

• rsieminski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was looking more for big swollen corms, that will start a much, much larger plant than one sold in a 4" pot. I have lots of Malanga also. It looks very close to X. Sagittafolia, but has a slightly dif shaped leaf, a little more quilted, and a purple-ish membrane on the petiole where the new leaf comes out. Beautiful, as is X. Sag. Is that the same as yours?

Did they have any other varieties at the asian market? How about purple sugarcane?

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Some varieties of X. atrovirens often have petioles that are a brownish purple, especially towards the base, the lobes are less flared and the sinus is more closed than X. sagittifolium. This is different than X. violaceum with purple petioles covered with a lavender farina.

If you scrape through the two outer layers of skin and it's yellow to golden on the inside, it's X. atrovirens.

We can get these at large supermarkets here, but they are more common to Hispanic rather than Asian grocers.

Lowe's here often has many varieties of Colocasias propagated from tubers that look awful from being kept too dry and too dark, but they quickly recover and make large plants once set in the ground.

Keiko

Sponsored