Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 leaves per Alocasia plant seems sparse

Posted by clibanarius z8GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 21:57

Greetings,

Last summer I picked up a few small Alocasias (Aurora, gageana California, lauterbachiana in 3" pots) and converted them to soil-less media. Had a bit of a time getting the sunlight levels right, and then we had whiteflies and thrips, and then came the fall. Not the easiest start, but they're all doing fine, slowly but actively growing. So far, though, I can't seem to get more than 3 leaves at a time per plant, so that the opening of each new leaf coincides with the demise of the oldest leaf. The A. lauterbachiana produced a pup, but it too has only three leaves.

Is this typical (in which case denser plantings could solve the "problem")? Or, is it typical of young, or container-bound, or cold, or improperly cared-for Alocasias? I'd like to get a few more species, but more importantly I want to help the ones I have live up to their potential!

Cheers,

Alan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 leaves per Alocasia plant seems sparse

3 leaves is typical for many Alocasias . I can keep several on lauterbachiana , but living in wet tropical conditions nearly identical to habitat really helps .

o

Yep. By then time the 4th leaf comes out the oldest leaf is yellowing.
A fuller look = more plants.
Illustris is the only one I had that had maybe 20+ leaves on the same plant.
And I didn't care for those tiny leaves- I like the giant leaves.
Karen

o

Hi, Illustris is a Colocasia, not an Alocasia!

o

I have found that my Alocasias typically hold 5 or more leaves (even lauterbachiana) when they are getting a constant regulated feed. This can be accomplished via a fertilizer injection system if your plants are irrigated automatically, or you can mix in a time release fert formulation such as Dynamite (available at Home Depot). Be prepared to repot one or more times in the summer because the plants really grow large that way, too.

I've seen lauterbachianas with 6 or more leaves at a time at a professional nursery with automatic irrigation and a metered regular soluble fertilizer injection system.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Count the leaves!

o

LariAnn,

Hmm, that's definitely worth a try. I'm still trying to master the feeding of hydrocultured plants, and have been erring on the side of underfeeding. I just got back from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, where in one of the greenhouses I saw a couple huge A. portei (?unlabelled, unfortunately) with at least six leaves each; very impressive! Others were leafier as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here