Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostaholic2

Which E. E.'s?

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice as to which Alocasia, Colocasia, Xanthosoma are the easiest to overwinter. I have what I believe is Colocasia esculenta, C. esculenta var. Black Magic, C. antiquorum var. Illustris and Xanthosoma Lime Zinger. I have no problem overwintering Lime Zinger and esculenta. Both do well in their pots in my cool root cellar. But Illustris and especially Black Magic are a major pain to keep alive over winter. I've tried growing them in front of a large south window and this year under lights and am constantly battling spider mites. Can anyone suggest others that I can just tuck away in my root cellar for the winter? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Also, can you suggest some good sources for them? Thanks much for any suggestions you can give.

Comments (3)

• debbiecz3
    16 years ago

I am overwintering illustris and black magic in a south facing patio door window with decent success. Haven't had an issue with spider mites but fungus gnats have been a bit of a pain. The regular green variety is resting in the basement to start up later. I was under the impression that black magic especially likes to grow on over the winter months because the tuber is easier to lose if left dormant. Not sure if that is true or not.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Alocasia calidora, and Colocasia fontessei(black stem), have held up against spider mites very well for me. I have given up on most of the ones you mentioned, but haven't tried the "Lime Zinger", I'll have to give that one a try, thanks.

• philofan
    16 years ago

Xanthosomas haven't lasted well for me in CA.