Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloom every year?

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 0:06

Hello!
I realize that Amorphophallus bulbs need to be big enough flower, but once they are flowering size, do they bloom every year? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloom every year?

They're not actually "bulbs", they're tubers (or corms). You need to understand the life cycle of amorphs. The tuber withers/dies each season and is replaced by a new one. The leaf produces the nutrients for the new tuber. The bigger the leaf, the bigger the tuber it produces. And the bigger the tuber, the bigger the leaf it produces in the next season. So you progressively get a bigger tuber and a bigger leaf. Once it reaches flowering size the reserves stored in the tuber go into the flower. There's usually enough left in the tuber to start a new leaf after the flower withers. Then it depends on how well that cycle of tuber and leaf feeding each other goes. Often the new tuber doesn't reach flowering size before the end of the season. You need to feed them well to have them flowering in consecutive years.

o

so well explained tropic !!
i would just add..the frequency of flowering depends
on the amorph..
konjac for example once reaching flowering maturity
flowers every yr..
on other side,titanum as i understand..will flower only
maybe every 3-5 yrs..
im a newbie to amorphs..but certainly learning alot from
the likes of posters here..much thanks !!!
? jardin..??what amorph are u growing?
good luck to ya !!!

o

Thanks folks for the responses!

I actually haven't gotten my aroids yet. I ordered konjacs to start with and I'm excited to grow them.
I have plenty of aroids like philodendron and callas but I want to do amorphs. I will do all I can per the suggestions and what I read to give them a healthy and nutrient rich growing season so that i can hopefully assure a bloom the following year.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here