Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have extra konjac pollen ~

Posted by krstofer Zone 8 (ish) (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 1:10

So I had 8 konjacs blooming and as each did I dutifully collected the pollen to use on the next one. Well, now they're done & I find myself with a bit of pollen. Anyone have a konjac about to bloom? Want to try polinating it with my stuff? I'll put that pollen in an envelope & send it- I've been curious to see if that would work.

Also been curious to see if any crosses could be made- Maybe konjac & paeonifolius? (That would be a smell like no other..) 'Cource my collection is nowhere big enough to have different species blooming at the same time.. But is it even possible? I know with passiflora some can be too far "apart" for crosses to work, I wonder if aroids can be crossed at all? I'd think if it was possible someone somewhere would have mentioned it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have extra konjac pollen ~

Hi Krstofer,
good luck for your trial! I understand why you do this - only because there is a new possibility, you accept the challenge. But what shall you do with hundreds of seedlings? When they really start growing you will need an acre! And I think you won't grow them as a new crop.
But with a great bunch of young plants you may have some variations in growth and colour - sounds interesting!
Bye
hermann

o
RE: I have extra konjac pollen ~

I don't think anyone has ever been able to hybridize Amorphophallus, but I think they mainly try titanum crossses.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try; you have a good working knowledge of how pollenization on this Genus works.

If you have the time, it would be quite worthwhile to keep trying. Maybe some of the identity problems stem from naural hybridization.

A.konjac pollen is always the first available to save here,but maybe this should be tried in reverse with konjac as the female plant.

Keiko

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here