Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Best totems for climbing philos?

bihai
18 years ago

What, in your experience, are the best materials to make totems (to be in place LONG TERM) for climbers like Philos?

I am leaning toward using chicken wire to make cylinders, then stuffing them with sphagnum and orchid bark.

Comments (8)

• kellyschofield
    18 years ago

I'm not incredibly experienced with the climbers, having worked mostly with the Amorphs. However, I had an idea that I just started trying a few weeks ago. I'm using white PVC pipe that I cut to length, maybe 2-3 times the current height of the vine. I screw it into the plastic pot from the outsisde (the pipe is on the inside) then plant my vine next to it. I'm using coconut coir mats that I wrap around it and secure with a natural fiber twine. I have one that's around 4 feet tall made of 2 inch PVC. I figure you can use any size of PVC, they come in up to 6 inches or so and you can make them any length because when your vine hits the top, you can add a coupler and add several more feet of pipe and just wrap a new coir sheet around the new top part. Like I said, it seems like a great idea, but I just re-did around 5 or 6 very small philos and syngonium, so I don't really know how well it will work in the long term.

• russ_fla
    18 years ago

Bihai, unfortunately that chicken wire will rust in short order, even if it's galvanized. I don't think this is a good option for long term. The fiber-covered PVC idea sounds like a fairly long-lived totum. I've covered PVC with long fiber sphagnum moss and don't recommend that for long term, but the coir mats are a lot more durable. I would definitely use a synthetic type twine tho, as the natural fiber types will fall apart eventually. There are some twines made of twisted strands of plasticized material that are impervious to water and rotting. I have many Philos and Monsteras climbing 4x4 shadehouse supports, I've thought about putting a 6 footer in an appropriately-sized big pot for Philos or Monsteras. A rougher surface is desired, but they accept the smoother surface of lumber quite well.
    Russ

• kellyschofield
    18 years ago

I've just never liked the chicken wire idea, seems too work intensive to stuff cylinders and the sphagnum moss breaks down fairly easily it seems. Good point on the twine, I may change out what I've done and use something synthetic.

• bihai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got stuff to make them, am going to start soon! Thanks for all the advice!

• holly_c
    18 years ago

The pvc is a great idea! I have an aversion to chicken wire (long story). Just dropped in on this thread as I've been looking for a solution to this very question for a while. I have a large Monstera that is about to attach itself to the side of the house.

• bihai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL holly I have one of those too. I bought a large monstera in a 5 gal container on closeout one year at Home Depot for $12, it was about 5 ft tall then, and it has about tripled in size. Its a true monster. I had it as a houseplant but it just got too big. I moved it out to the entryway and I have to keep it pulled out to keep it from attaching to the house.

• russ_fla
    18 years ago

OK ladies! Exactly what 'large Monstera' are we talking about??? M. deliciosa, or another type??
    Russ

• bihai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Russ mine is just Plain Jane Monstera deliciosa var. Home Depot.

Sponsored